Learning from last years mistakes

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Flanker37

Learning from last years mistakes

Post by Flanker37 »

Hi folks,

I started volunteering for the RIAT airshow last year, and i camped it for 6 days and it was a nightmare.

I didn't prepare for it well enough before hand, not having camped in 20 odd year.

My tent was too small, and my sleeping bag not warm enough.

The journey is made on my NC700X DCT, with givi v35's & a givi e52, i already have the helinox copy chair, but this year as well as doing RIAT i will also be doing Scampton too.

I am looking at this for the tent https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-41- ... 94502.html

I would like a sleeping bag from decathlon too, but the ratings & temperature confuses me.

Honestly last year it was so bad (in july i might add) that i was wearing all my motorbike kit inside the sleeping bag i bought from gooutdoors.

Any help would be appreciated
waynecoluk

Re: Learning from last years mistakes

Post by waynecoluk »

I had the same problem as you. I camped in April last year in the north of Scotland and ended up sleeping in all my bike gear and was still freezing. Probably the worse nights sleep I have ever had.
I did some research and bought a better tent, a season 4 sleeping bag, and a cot to sleep on. I now sleep like a baby when camping.
I bought one of the go-outdoors 3 man tent for about 40-50 pounds and it has been fantastic. Waterproof, easy to put up and packs away small. If you are going to do occasional camping these are brilliant tents. Sleeping bag wise I spent more and made sure I got a good season 4 bag. That was about 80 quid but worth every penny. I also bought a little cot from go-outdoors just to keep me off the floor. It was £20 for 2. I put a self inflating roll mat on the cot with the season 4 bag and am very comfortable and warm.
I used this set up while in Switzerland at 5000 ft and though temps dropped to about 7 or 8 at night I was toasty.
A good pillow is important aswell. The cheap blow up ones are crap. I have ended up using clothes folded up and find them just as comfy as anything else.
The tent in the attachment looks like it doesn't pack away very small but has some good space but it's cheap. I'd question why its so cheap however my go outdoors 40 quid tent is fantastic so who knows. Give it a go.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

I use a water bottle to keep warm if needed and climbing into the sleepig bag when its a bit chilly it makes it nice and toasty. packs flat, small and cheap! A few took the mic until they tried it and realised its a good solution for £4! (thumbs)
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Snugpak Tactical 4 Sleeping bag. Made in UK and absolutely roasting, excellent quality and last for years...

Never sleep in your clothes in a sleeping bag as your body heat stops at the clothes and the sleeping bag can't do it's job.

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags/tactical-4
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
micksea

Post by micksea »

the OP hasn"t said what sleeping mat he used which is usually as/more important than the sleeping bag.at least you know what doesn"t work now so you know which bits to improve.on that snugpak link,at the bottom of the page is a link to a "how to" video on packing a sleeping bag,i always smile when people are swearing and struggling to get a neatly rolled up bag back in the stuff sack.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

There's nothing worse than spending days upon days shivering in a tent. You're setting up for nights at a time so you forego spartan & bring some creature comforts.

You're probably like me a cold sleeper, so certainly look at a 3 season bag as a minimum, if by some miracle it is too hot you can lay on top. Sleeping bags keep you warm, they don't make you warm, a fleece or cotton /silk inner liner & a hot water bottle are pro tips. I like to take some pj's....thermals really. Sleeping in bike gear is unpleasant :(

Cold rises, so make sure you're insulated from the ground. Airbeds are great for giving plenty of sleeping area but no insulation. You want a cot or a decent mat, the thicker, the more comfort, but bulkier.

Hope you enjoy it this time (thumbs)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Yup, airbeds are probably the worst this you can take, money is better spent on a good mat rather than a flash sleeping bag. + 1 for silk liners and your winking gear can double as PJ's as long as they're not too tight fitting.

Get a tent that has a porch for your clobber but a smallish sleeping area as otherwise you'll be sleeping in a lot of cold air that your own breath/body heat can warm up if there's not too much volume.

Sounds like a daft idea but take a music player thingy in case you have snoring - or worse still bonking! -neighbours - and load up some music that sends you to sleep!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Mike Wright wrote:I use a water bottle to keep warm if needed and climbing into the sleepig bag when its a bit chilly it makes it nice and toasty. packs flat, small and cheap! A few took the mic until they tried it and realised its a good solution for £4! (thumbs)
That's a bloody good idea - but don't forget to jettison it after about 03.00 when it will be stone cold - and probably nest you your bladder! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

DaleC

Post by DaleC »

I use a metal drinking water bottle filled with hot water but covered in a hiking sock. The sock prevents burning yourself, keeps it warmer longer and means that you aren't sleeping next to cold water in the early hours.

Clearly doubles as a drinking vessel (thumbs)

Spanish biker nailed it with size of sleeping area in the tent, too much and you'll never make it warm. Also, in my experience, cheap larger tents (like your link) tend to take quite some time to pitch and pack up and also not be as stable as a smaller variant.

The standard ABR tent suggestion was a Coleman Phad 3 but it appears to be out production? The Coastline 3 is similar, but heavier and us about £100.

Some good advice already shared with insulation from the ground. There are insulated air beds available (eg Exped) and they are fantastic, but sadly not cheap. I'm not sure of cheaper alternatives.

Good luck and hopefully you have a better experience than last year!
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

The small-tent-plus-tarp is a good option if you are going to be in one place for several days. Not only keep the tent opening dry but it makes you plot more 'private'.

I use this cheap one from Decathlon - it's the only choice here! - and don't bother carrying the rather heavy poles as in Spain any camp site with its salt has trees to tie it to. But if you're at a 'venue' you might not have that luxury. But there are some much better tarps available in the UK.

Another thing, if you're riding to the place, pitching camp and then riding home don't worry too much about packing a lot of stuff, e.g. a good solid chair - within reason of course - but when you're touring and moving daily then the 'equation' changes radically.

- oh and did I say it helps keep your tent opening dry ... :whistle:

Regs

Simon

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”