Camping newbie!

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Apophis

Re: Camping newbie!

Post by Apophis »

It is Very dificult to recomend as what one finds good anouther finds no use

But here is a good start as to what a few go for and what I have now bear in mind this is personal preference to me and a few I have camped with in the middle of winter

Tent

The tent you have chosen is ok but at that price I would look for a second hand one to try first as sitting a chiar in that living area will be tight
here is a link to a cheaper omega 350 Omega 350

I have now moved away from these tents and have just treated myself to the Classic Force ten Mk4 I will be able to put a Decathlon tarp on the front of it for sitting under in the event of rain.
Devon John has a Hillberg tent But is small pack and light But F**king expensive
there are some with Robens Tpees

Don’t buy the foot print as they are Crap material get some good quality ground sheet and cut to size to put down before pitching.

Sleeping

Air beds are cheap and effective but the cold air inside will always be next to you in your bag and make you cold.

self inflating mats are ok for summer but the best combo i have found has been the thermarest Cot XL with a self inflating mat on that it is both like sleeping in your own bed and keeps you off the floor and warm

Bags are a big decision think about the temps you will be looking at camping in most go for the Down bag but I have A mountain hardware Lamina Z blaze this has a _15 comfort level and was not cold in the slightest at the dragon this year

Cooking
Most have trangia and that is always a good option but a lot have a Coleman petrol stove I take a trangia 25 with the trangia gas burner and then I also have a Coleman
If you are just looking at brews then a lot go with the Jet boil

Seating
Copy of helinox
Every day is an adventure
lmac

Post by lmac »

Vango Omega 350, good tent, we're on our second.
Comfortable earplugs, unless your the type who can sleep through anything, essential for a good nights sleep :) .
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

After some scrote trying to rob me in my tent at the Y giler arms on the saturday night of the Dragon I will never wear ear plugs as he was already in the tent and I woke to him opening the inner by my head
mawse

Post by mawse »

Have a look at this book....

Adventures on a Motorcycle - gearing up for touring and camping....
adventuremotorcyclingguidebook.png
adventuremotorcyclingguidebook.png (358.23 KiB) Viewed 2640 times

Available HERE at the website or on Amazon (paperback or kindle) or from the publishers

This book has all the advice, tips and info for touring and camping on a motorbike
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

Most of the replies you get on here will be from well travelled "experts" . I'm reasonably well travelled but no expert. I've done a long trip around Europe using a 24 quid 2 man tent from Amazon. Plus shortish trips to Netherlands, Germany etc. The tent is still going strong and has never let me down even at the several rally's that I've been to. I also use a self inflating mattress, a £30.00 sleeping bag and sometimes a bag liner. I won't lie and say that when camping in the early spring/late autumn I've been toastie warm but It's been bearable. Never had any cooking gear, always found somewhere for a cuppa and bite to eat. It's easy to overload the bike if you are not careful. Just my two bobs worth.

Nick.
boatman

Post by boatman »

Apophis wrote:After some scrote trying to rob me in my tent at the Y giler arms on the saturday night of the Dragon I will never wear ear plugs as he was already in the tent and I woke to him opening the inner by my head
Either a very brave or very stupid Scrote,, I suspect I would struggle to be civil to him :whistle:
lmac

Post by lmac »

After some scrote trying to rob me in my tent at the Y giler arms on the saturday night of the Dragon I will never wear ear plugs as he was already in the tent and I woke to him opening the inner by my head
I must admit this seems to be getting more common, thieving bastards.
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

For getting a good nights sleep, I use an exped synmat. On the mat I wrap a cheap £10 fleece throw and on top I use a down bag which I ony zip up the bottom 18 inches or so and use it like a duvet. I don't particularly like mummy bags so I find this setup works well allowing me to spread out without feeling restricted and it stops my feet sticking out the bottom
dave h

Post by dave h »

Apophis wrote:After some scrote trying to rob me in my tent at the Y giler arms on the saturday night of the Dragon I will never wear ear plugs as he was already in the tent and I woke to him opening the inner by my head
blimey,shame you didn't get hold of em
that said they might of been just after a warm,

dave.
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

nickoff wrote:Most of the replies you get on here will be from well travelled "experts" . I'm reasonably well travelled but no expert. I've done a long trip around Europe using a 24 quid 2 man tent from Amazon. Plus shortish trips to Netherlands, Germany etc. The tent is still going strong and has never let me down even at the several rally's that I've been to. I also use a self inflating mattress, a £30.00 sleeping bag and sometimes a bag liner. I won't lie and say that when camping in the early spring/late autumn I've been toastie warm but It's been bearable. Never had any cooking gear, always found somewhere for a cuppa and bite to eat. It's easy to overload the bike if you are not careful. Just my two bobs worth.

Nick.
And a Kangaroo onesy for December Bunk housing in devon LOL

I wish i had caught the toe rag there were only three of us camping there on the saturday night as well and the dragon was hit with a multitude of this the year before I wont be going up there next year I am sad to say as it one i look forward to

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”