Which cook system?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
BushcraftBarmy

Which cook system?

Post by BushcraftBarmy »

Hi ABR friends and fiends... :) :evil:

It's been a very long time since I was a part of this, and it was a small part back then *cough* my apologies.

I'm looking at cook systems, primarily stoves. I've dabbled in bushcraft and wild camping so I already have a selection of pots and paraphenalia. But I'm wondering if I should be looking at items that are designed for hiking i.e the ultralite setups (MSR pocket Rocket) or the floor based ones (Primus fossil Onmifuel - great as you can get fuel for your bike at the same time as your stove)

- What options seem to work best for a biker?
- Is there an ultralite fossil multifuel stove that could also be used for hiking and international travel? (not via bike)

I want to use the cheaper universal gas cans to save money, so it needs to have a satalite fuel delivery system and not be only able to screw directly into the gas dome shaped and expensive ones. (I'll buy those when every gram of backpack weight matters)

I'm not necessarily looking for the lightest kit. I'm a rather big bloke so I think a few grams here and there are not going to kill me. Rather, the best balance between practicality, performance and finally weight. It would be great if I can find something under 150grams or so as most of the stoves with a built in base are coming in around 250grams which I think is heavy.

Thanks in advance.
Olliedog

Re: Which cook system?

Post by Olliedog »

For Gas--
I Have the Alpkit version as well as the Fire Maple. All good quality. Adapters available to suit other styles of canisters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... AFiremaple
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I use a 10" zebrahead billycan with an alcohol stove
See post #53 for details http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... oves/page4
Jon Caveman

Post by Jon Caveman »

I've gone off gas and now use a petrol stove, no loss off power due to the fact you can pump it um if it drops off a bit and you've always got fuel for it (in your tank) works for me
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

This is like asking what is the meaning of life!! It depends on what you want. Do you want to make make a brew, rehydrate dry food or actually cook also depends on how you prioritise speed of boil, simmer control, simplicity of maintenance and silence etc etc... before you know it you will own 20 stoves.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Olliedog

Post by Olliedog »

ipswichbiker wrote: before you know it you will own 20 stoves.
Sadly I have been affected by this syndrome and actually do own more than 20 :blush:

Actually, the MSR Whisperlite univesral might tick all the boxes coupled with a canister adapter. This is probably next on my list as I need to replace the pump on my aging Whisperlite. TBH gas is just more convenient for my needs.
boatman

Post by boatman »

Jetboil zip for ,a quick roadside brew/soup.
MSR petrol stove for the evening cook , always got fuel, I keep a bit of clear plastic tube for syphoning when required
mjojom

Post by mjojom »

Olliedog wrote:For Gas--
I Have the Alpkit version as well as the Fire Maple. All good quality. Adapters available to suit other styles of canisters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... AFiremaple
this looks the same to me but without the price tag:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391461714262? ... EBIDX%3AIT

got one about month ago and seems to be working and put together really well.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I love my trangia for its multi functionality (like my ride Im not in a hurry) but if I was going to buy anything else I would look at alpkit first.

Jetboils are great but only if you want to boil water insanely fast
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Mini trangia is the most versatile I've tried and quiet.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”