Tie down straps

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Helicoptermanr22

Re: Tie down straps

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Oop North John wrote:
Helicoptermanr22 wrote:Just bought some of these. made in Cornwall so gotta be good, have to say, really impressed..eBay item number:302083404582
Having a senior moment :ohmy: but am I right in guessing that as there's no hook then you loop the straps around the bike / secure point in a loop? In which case is 1 metre long enough?
Have a look at their shop. 1 metre to 3 mtres with or with out hooks. very well made and with a Uk breakage rating. Nothing to do with me but they are bloody good so spread the word and all that.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Oop North John wrote:
Helicoptermanr22 wrote:Just bought some of these. made in Cornwall so gotta be good, have to say, really impressed..eBay item number:302083404582
Having a senior moment :ohmy: but am I right in guessing that as there's no hook then you loop the straps around the bike / secure point in a loop? In which case is 1 metre long enough?
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
s-l5001.jpg
s-l5001.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
They can make up them up from 1 metre to 5m.... cam buckle version with hooks on if you need them.

Business seller information
Big Cushion
Richard Harries
1 The Square,
Pentewan
St Austell
Cornwall
PL26 6DA
United Kingdom

Phone:01726 844938
Email:[email protected]
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Ive seen these recommended in previous threads
http://www.handystraps.co.uk/categories ... n-blue/46/
Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

If you buy 2m long ones, then cut them in two (best if the end with the cam buckle on it is about 30-40cm long), and sew a soft loop into the cut ends, this makes a set of tie downs that you can actually get some tension on unlike using them as a loop.
Put the cam buckle end on the bike, feed the buckle through the soft loop you have sewn onto this end, tie the other half off to the deck points/cables/trailer tie downs then feed the free end through the cam buckle and pull to tighten.
I get mine from Robert Harwood
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: But the ferry company generally always does a tie down with their own, especially Brittany Ferries on the Pont Aven.
Hidden away in the FAQ's is the statement that they'll tie the bike down while the owner is still present:

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/faq/s ... cle-straps

So, if the bike falls over, who's insurance should pay out for any damage?
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

BMW ship their bikes with cam buckle ones. They are white and very stiff nylon staps and if you pop down to your local BMW dealer they may give you some instead of throwing them away.

I have some and they are tough as old boots.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I know some do not like cam buckles...

I have to say I did many many miles with them in days gone by, but the cheap and nasty ones usually being sold now are made of chinese monkey metal and simply fall apart. :unsure: I'll be interested in a review of the one from Cornwall.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Thats why I think you probably better off with end loops rather than hooks which can bounce loose and come of the tiedown points

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”