Quick erect tents...anyone use one?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
exrm193

Quick erect tents...anyone use one?

Post by exrm193 »

Khyam, Slumit etc etc all do quick erect tents.
Are they any good?
suzivstrom650

Re: Quick erect tents...anyone use one?

Post by suzivstrom650 »

I've been using a slumit cub for a couple of years now.Can't really fault it.Waterproof,roomy enough for 1 + all your gear and very handy to put up and take down.Its one big drawback is the packed size is relatively big.If you can live with that then its a great tent (thumbs)
desmo666

Post by desmo666 »

I have a Khyam Biker, had it for a good few years now, I like it, it is big and airy, always been ultra dry and you can pitch it in seconds when its slinging it down.
downside is its packsize is large, not massive just not lightweight.
If i was cycling i would bivy it, motorcycle kyham.
Have smaller light weight tents ,vango tempest 200,hooped bivvy and a military bivvy bag with tarp and an old jack wolfskin (which was the best tent, unfortunately stopped production years ago ).
horses for courses
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

I have a 2 man Slumit (just enough space for 1 with gear) and it really does go up as quick as they say, I have only used it twice so far and have not had any issues. Seems like decent quality but not sure how it would stand up to bad weather or constant use. The pack size is a bit big and weighs a fair amount but if its ease of erection you are after :blink: then it will take some beating. The tent has vents and mossy nets etc so decent spec and doesn't let the rain in.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

We've got a Khyam of some description and while the wife loves it I don't rate it at all. Ok, it's marginally quicker to put up than a normal tent but I don't think the quality is anything to write home about, I don't like fiberglass poles, pack size isn't brilliant and I'm convinced I can drop and pack a standard type of tent in the same time if not faster.

I wouldn't spend my own money on one but the wife bought this one so if she's on a trip with me where we're camping and she wants to carry it then fine :)
herman

Post by herman »

Bought one from peejay a few years ago and it has done me very well. Drawbacks as mentioned above so it's used for big bike tours. However, I get an extra brew in the morning while I wait for the others to strike camp
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Totally agree with Desmo666, the Khyam Biker is a decent quality item and solid in heavy rain and winds I have found.

Downside is it is bloody heavy, but suited me fine when touring with the bigger bike, on the little Honda trailie though, weight matters. But as I have a humungous self inflate mattress, the actual size of the pack is immaterial :) I do like the quick erect framework when raining, and it's as quick to pull down in a hurry. Previously, I had a Highlander from Khyam, quicker to put up, but poor porch.

Like many "older" riders, I would like a taller tent these days... :whistle:
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

khyam been using the dome one for the last 23 years, goes up in 20 seconds always take if if its raining and its never let me down

steve
Boo Cock

Post by Boo Cock »

Can't beat them. Top notch in every way.....Except pack size. But I can live with that.
(thumbs)
Womble

Post by Womble »

There's Khyams and Khyams; the Biker is great, had mine for years, but as others have said, big pack size and weight, but a big, robust tent, but doesn't go up as fast as a highlander or igloo. Depends how important set up speed is too you.
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”