Quick erect tents...anyone use one?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Discoed

Re: Quick erect tents...anyone use one?

Post by Discoed »

I have a Kyham biker and as others have said it's no quicker to erect than a standard tent and it's not the best in terms of quality.

I have just retired a 1990's Pheonix Phunnel as the proofing has now expired and the taped seams have failed,

its been replaced with an MSR
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Constantly debated with myself over tents and cost. Bigger dome type are hard to erect single handed but with 2 can be very quick as they will stand without guys/pegs.

In the end having once tried a quick erect I found either too bulky/heavy or impossible to put away [pop up type] or lacking rain resistance [pop up/festival tents].

So I settle for a flysheet pitch first tunnel tent with a decent enough porch that once the flysheet is up everything is inside in the dry. Equally I can pack everything including tent inner and porch groundsheet away in the panniers inside the tent and the only thing left standing is the flysheet with 2 pegs holding it up. I can flick the poles off the retainers from inside and in 5 minutes its packed away on the bike.

Some of the quick pitching is down to how you pack your stuff. If I know it will be wet I always have the outer flysheet and poles ready to come off first without any other unpacking, even that saves time. If you have a few linked fibreglass poles keeping them apart from each over stops them getting tangled.

If you aren't over fussed about cost a tunnel with alloy poles is much lighter but an extra cost of over €200 hurts the pocket. Easy to carry a spare fibreglass pole segment.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

in last months magazine- there was an excellent article by Mike B about quick erect tents. Well worth getting the magazine
Moorso
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road

Post by Moorso »

Have been using the 2 man Slummit tent for a few years now, and in all sorts of weather here. Roomy, really easy to put up and, once mastered, just as quick to fold down. I don't find the pack size too big....it fits in my waterproof Overboard bag that sits on the pillion seat.
If the weather is supposed to be adverse, you're advised to wrap the guy rope once around the pole, which I have done.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

rodyorkabr wrote:in last months magazine- there was an excellent article by Mike B about quick erect tents. Well worth getting the magazine

just found it...cheers. They were just normal 2 man tents though....not quick put er uppers!
briantheb

Post by briantheb »

Have owned a Kyham Biker for a number of years now and although its relativly easy and quick to erect periodically the material in the porch area gets pinched while packed away and there are now a number of near identical two hole damage points. Has anyone else had similar problems ?
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I've never seen the advantage of the biker version--but have one of the last "igloo" versions which simply pulls up from the middle. It sort of works but is far too bulky for the bike--typically I use a ripstop 3 man Blacks Octane Tunnel--with a vestibule that is the same size as the sleeping bit--and it packs away in half the length, weight and so on of the Kyham. I also use a Big Agnes copy which is slightly smaller, but still a 3 man. I carry a Robens tarp with aluminium poles--its 3m by 3 m and I can stand under it--its the first thing to go up and the last to come down--allows you to pack, cook, dress and so on in the dry. By the way, the 3 hoop Blacks Tunnel goes up outer first , or all in one--and requires just 4 pegs to get it spaced out, then insert the three hoops --and its up--then secure with extra pegs , guys and so on--its all about practice and experience to work out what works well for you. Typically you get what you pay for.
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

I have a Vaude MKIII, its very quick to erect, around 5 mins, depending on how hard the ground is.

The poles provide an external frame and you quickly clip the tent to it.

Light weight, long lasting, good in high winds and best of all, no phaffing with threading poles into sleeves.

Just about see what I mean in this photo

i did try a Khayam once, too big and far too heavy
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

Chasbmw wrote:I have a Vaude MKIII, its very quick to erect, around 5 mins, depending on how hard the ground is.

The poles provide an external frame and you quickly clip the tent to it.

Light weight, long lasting, good in high winds and best of all, no phaffing with threading poles into sleeves.

Just about see what I mean in this photo

i did try a Khayam once, too big and far too heavy
You said 3 mins in your previous reply!! :P

I'd like to try one of these - what is the current version?

D.
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

I often think about pop up tents. If they could make them slightly smaller, as in when they are packed, they would be perfect for the bike. For summers only obviously. I always find it a chore putting up a tent if you've been riding for 8-10 hours.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”