Cook, or just heat water?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Simon_100

Re: Cook, or just heat water?

Post by Simon_100 »

I buy microwave ready meals when I can find them - usually in Andorra - all you need to do is add a bit of water to cook on a camping stove and the bags are indestructible so I stuff some well down inside my luggage ...

But when I'm at a location for a few days I buy tins of local stews, casseroles, etc.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Africa John

Cook, or just heat water?

Post by Africa John »

I carry rice and porridge (or buy when I stop) and then buy local sausage or meat and bread to supplement plus eggs for brekkie.

I like to cook. It can be sociable with other bikers/campers or just tome to teflect and be peaceful and have some "me" time.

Nothing better than settling back in your chair with your brekkie or tea with an appropriate drink (tea/coffee or wine) and watching the world go by .............

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Chalky723 wrote:
These are really useful for a hassle free way of heating something up if you're halfway through a wet/cold journey somewhere - you can set it up & drive a bit further if you're desperate to keep moving.

D
The MRE heaters are great I agree and since my lad has been in the UOTC and now moving on up, there are always a few MRE packs about the house, some pretty well inedible, which is why they are here!! I was running back across France for an evening ferry, cold and more than a bit miserable and 15mins spent doing one of these meals, when I stopped for a pee and stretch, worked wonders as some warm food often does.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

And speaking of MRE packs, I was going to flog some of the surplus off to raise a few bob for his forthcoming trip and Uni fees :-) I'll get them listed shortly!!
V_King

Post by V_King »

when travelling throughout Europe last year for the first time I bought trangia small kit to try cooking. Ended up using it very occasionally, to heat some water or food leftovers from the evening on the roadside. Too much faf and still not really cheap. Other than that it is not hard to get a warm meal cheaply in 99% of Europe (even Norway and Sweden) and experience local foods, not just canned/dried mush from supermarkets.
""
Cone

Post by Cone »

The Spanish Biker wrote:I buy microwave ready meals when I can find them - usually in Andorra - all you need to do is add a bit of water to cook on a camping stove and the bags are indestructible so I stuff some well down inside my luggage ...

But when I'm at a location for a few days I buy tins of local stews, casseroles, etc.

Regs

Simon
I like this idea, the plastic boxes dont melt on the sauce pan, or is your pan big enough to float them :ohmy:

I hate washing up :sick:
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

I went to my local Asda supermarket to buy the LYWF (Look what we found) range of ready made foods (6 flavours in total)only to find that they only stock one flavour, so I then tried Tesco, same story, Morrisons, same, Waitrose etc....weirdly you cannot buy all 6 flavours in any one supermarket ??? :pinch:

I then had one of those horror flashbacks to the Falklands, being sent out to South Georgia, got dropped off by Chinook with 6 weeks Compo rations to last me until handover, only to find I had been given 6 weeks supply of Menu G........ :pinch:

Sarge
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

When in France I always treat myself to a can like this...

20140911_185341Cass.jpg
20140911_185341Cass.jpg (68.75 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
A big one will fit on the Trangia so you don't have to wash it up (thumbs)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Brenhden wrote: A big one will fit on the Trangia so you don't have to wash it up (thumbs)
That's key for me - avoid washing up if you can - I always have a little cry when I watch my DofE kids pour their Boil IN the Bag into the trangia pan..... :(

D
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

The Sarge wrote:I went to my local Asda supermarket to buy the LYWF (Look what we found) range of ready made foods (6 flavours in total)only to find that they only stock one flavour, so I then tried Tesco, same story, Morrisons, same, Waitrose etc....weirdly you cannot buy all 6 flavours in any one supermarket ??? :pinch:

Sarge
The full range is getting like rocking horse shit to find The best place I have found is Morrison's three types & £1.45 each B&M had them a few weeks ago at £0.99 each but has very short shelf life. Their website has stopped doing orders too .

As for cook or heat water I am a keen cook on camping trips I try different foods my family would not have at home. Here is where a good country butcher is handy just go in when they are quiet say you would like to try something different I came out with some Veal , Pigeon. Duck and rabbit portions for one for a £10 have to admit Pigeon and mushroom's and Rabbit and mustard sauce add a few new pots and some mixed veg washed down with some Red wine hits the mark.
Yes I also like local food and hotels but mixed with camping and self cooking makes a trip more enjoyable ( for me) .
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”