Small brew kit

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: Small brew kit

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Zookman wrote:Camping stoves are very subjective, what suits some may not suit others. I dont like the Jetboil/Brewkit type stoves.
For decades i used a Campingaz Bleuet, which was not only used on my bike trips & rallies, it was also used all the years i was a trucker and lived in the cab all week.
These can still be picked up secondhand for a few quid. The gas cannisters are cheap as well, about £1 each.

About 5 yrs back i retired it and now use a Gelert Intensity, which is copy of the MSR Pocket Rocket. These tyes of stoves can be bought for under £5 on Ebay from China. Gas is a bit more expensive at around £3 a cannister.

I also have a Trangia copy, that came from either Lidl or Aldi and cost about £7.... but dont use it much. It takes up more room and they're slow. Although they're handy at lower temps, that would afect gas cannisters.
I have both of these stoves, the original Bluet Camping Gaz one from sometime back in the 70s and still going fine but retired and more recently the little screw on one. I love the little screw on ones, carry 2 for varied meals, excellent for my morning mug of tea that I refuse to move without, fast, simple, cools down fast too. The fact that stove and gas can be separated makes them very easy to pack away and they are very cheap off Amazon. Unless you are going for sub zero camping you will be fine with the gas.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Aldi alert--they are selling their Crane brand Trangia type meths kit at £12-99--seems an exact copy of the Trangia 25 standard at £49 (and thats discounted here http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/trangi ... 8q5-PmLTX5). Its sold as an outdoor fishing stove--I've bought a couple and tried it--seems fine. I've never really thought of going "basic" but boils up enough for a good brew pretty quickly and the pots (x2) are good enough for a good two part meal--and it has a frying pan--weighs about 730 gms. I think its worth it just for the pots and pans.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Eric nailed it. Jetboil is the one. How many others mentioned can boil a cup of water in 30 seconds?
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

It concentrates the heat energy agreed--but one hell of a price to pay for saving a few minutes to heat water--and they end up being tall and somewhat unstable, and unable to do much else because of their shape(agreed that this is the the title of the thread but when I go camping I also want to be able to cook up some proper hot food should the need arise--not everywhere has an on site cafe!). If you look at the Trangia arrangement then its well shielded and directs the heat onto the base and then up the sides getting the maximum possible heat transfer from a few drops of meths--and the burner can be nicely regulated to a simmer for the more delicate recipes.
Loz63

Post by Loz63 »

I use this

This

Canister will cost a fiver ish

And these http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... lsrc=aw.ds
bjohnson

Post by bjohnson »

Jetboil gets my vote. I had one anyway for hiking, but it's perfect for the bike trips. I don't cook big meals on it, but great for

- making a brew. I use the small packets of coffee from sainsburys, small sachets that have coffee and powdered milk already mixed, so just add boiling water.
- breakfast if you need it. I take sachets of Quaker porridge, mix up in the jetboil with water, heat up and eat. Takes only seconds, but don't boil it for long and don't leave the residue to 'set' in the jetboil !!!
- i usually carry a pack or two of the camping ready meals, just in case I need to stop for food and can't find anything open. Add hot water to the packet.
- small sachets of hot chocolate with a wee nip are great at night when crawling in the tent before bed!!

i was in France in September, cruising through some lovely quiet countryside, I had several coffee and rest stops well off the beaten track having ridden through quite a few small towns and villages with no cafes or bars open where I could get a coffee or a snack. The jetboil really came into its own for those stops.

I have a trangia, really great bit of kit but just a bit too bulky for my normal bike needs.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

catcitrus wrote:Aldi alert--they are selling their Crane brand Trangia type meths kit at £12-99--seems an exact copy of the Trangia 25 standard at £49 (and thats discounted here http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/trangi ... 8q5-PmLTX5). Its sold as an outdoor fishing stove--I've bought a couple and tried it--seems fine. I've never really thought of going "basic" but boils up enough for a good brew pretty quickly and the pots (x2) are good enough for a good two part meal--and it has a frying pan--weighs about 730 gms. I think its worth it just for the pots and pans.
carnt find it on the aldi websites, have you a link

steve
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I've just bought the Brukit Jackal.
I've not tried it yet but at £42 delivered it looks the part.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
ratass

Post by ratass »

I got the original brukit and use it constantly,great bit of kit you womt be disappointed.
Jb

quote="vRSG60" post=555335]I've just bought the Brukit Jackal.
I've not tried it yet but at £42 delivered it looks the part.[/quote]
KTM Deano

Post by KTM Deano »

I own a Jetboil and Trangia. All depends what I'm doing etc.. as to which one I take with me. Both brilliant at what they do.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”