Bivvy bags

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
west coast ratter

Re: Bivvy bags

Post by west coast ratter »

Old Git Ray wrote:
BillyC wrote:Whenever I've used a bivvy bag to sleep in I always find I'm soaked in the morning due to condensation in the bag. ....Snip....
This confuses me. The whole idea of a bivvi bag (and it needs to be a Goretex one) is that it constantly breathes and takes away the moisture from breath and body.

I regularly use one when out on my own as it is simpler than putting up a tent and I can kip in hedgerows etc if I want to. The extra insulation provided by the bag is very good.Image
Cool cheers thats what Im thinking the extra insulation would help ..I use a double air bed..I know they arent the warmest cos of the air in them but I injured my back lifting my xs650 engine yrs ago .. :( and its never been the same since ..so need a good thick air bed to lie on thats why I thought the army bivvy would do as an extra layer of warmth ..tho the other day I found in B&Q a roll of foil covered bubble roof insulation for £8 Im thinking cutting it to length and using that under my sleeping bag ..and it'll fold/roll up quite small .. (thumbs) thanks for the replies an ideas guys (thumbs)
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

So, what's the best Goretex bivvy bag in terms of compactness/lightness/warmth/cost; any suggestions
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

PaulinBont wrote:So, what's the best Goretex bivvy bag in terms of compactness/lightness/warmth/cost; any suggestions
Here you go Paul, have a snoop at this:

http://thenextchallenge.org/comparison-best-bivi-bags/
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I have an Alpkit Hunka Bivvy bag https://www.alpkit.com/products/Hunka which stows down into the size of a bag of sugar
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

BigBashBonanza wrote:
PaulinBont wrote:So, what's the best Goretex bivvy bag in terms of compactness/lightness/warmth/cost; any suggestions
Here you go Paul, have a snoop at this:

http://thenextchallenge.org/comparison-best-bivi-bags/
Thanks for the link (thumbs)

I do smile at all these references to 'ex-army bivvy bags'; all we had was a poncho and four bungee straps :whistle:
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

PaulinBont wrote:
I do smile at all these references to 'ex-army bivvy bags'; all we had was a poncho and four bungee straps :whistle:
Me too. :laugh: :laugh:
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

.... With the hood in the middle tied up :whistle:
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

BigBashBonanza wrote:.... With the hood in the middle tied up :whistle:
:laugh: :laugh: Too true. Have they not updated them? I was issued with one in 1972!
artic fox

Post by artic fox »

And you could clip poncho's together for a bigger tent, I got mine in 72 as well and as for keeping warm you just can't beat the Army sleeping bag (maggot), don't know about the new ones but the old ones with a waterproof outer bag kept me dry and warm when on 4 day border patrols in Ireland during winter.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Ah yes, the green maggot.....smelled of innumerable previous owners err....experiences :whistle:

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”