What's this tent like? Anyone know?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
OnHellas

Re: What's this tent like? Anyone know?

Post by OnHellas »

image_2015-12-28.jpeg
image_2015-12-28.jpeg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 792 times
-Ralph- wrote:Your OP was plural, "we don't like camping", is your companion on pillion or his/her own bike?

If pillion do you have enough space for two roll mats, two sleeping bags and a tent, plus all your other luggage?
My companion, aka as Mrs OnHellas is neither on her own bike or riding pillion........hang on, this isn't an argumentative bit :whistle: ........she'll be in the sidecar.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

So you don't have a space issue. That's good.

So count up what you'd need to spend on tent, sleeping mats and sleeping bags, and IMHO Mike54 was right, cheap gear is OK in good weather, but not in bad weather, divide by how many nights you think you'll use it, and see whether that's cheaper than the more expensive hotels.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

My tent has two poles, inner and outer tent attached and pitch together.

Assemble poles - one minute.
Thread poles through sleeves on outer tent - two minutes.

Tent now up.

Now peg down which any tent needs. Guy ropes if windy.

Why is it you need a pop-up tent again..?

Tent's a Vaude Taurus BTW.
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Reading over this I noticed "the Americas" and reading further I got the impression you're traveling around North America ?
Anyway, I'd get a fairly decent tent. One that's erected in a few seconds is nice but I'd rather pick one that takes a bit more time to put up but is a better choice when the weather becomes bad over a number of days in a row and you have no choice but to sleep in a tent. I bought a one time only used Coleman tent for under £50 and it works perfectly in keeping the elements out where they belong. It takes about 10 min. putting it up by myself but seeing I've got time I'm not bothered. Getting a good sleeping bag isn't a bad idea either as you'll probably be using that sleeping in a hut or whatever as well and up in the mountains it can get pretty nippy most months of the year. Cooking is another one of them things. I don't know how far you might get from civilisation but being able to boil water for some noodles or tea/coffee doesn't seem like such a daft idea.
Just my thoughts you understand.
Cheers, Ard (planning on doing all of the Americas from the end of 2016 onwards)
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

The only thing I'll say about cheap tents is that we bought one to take to Chimay a few years ago with the intention all along of putting it in a bin after 4 nights there before we set off on another two weeks of touring Europe but stopping in hotels.

It was crap because it leaked like a sieve and we ended up soaked the first night we were there so for what we saved I'd sooner have spent £100 and thrown that in the bin but at least been dry :)
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

AndyB wrote:The only thing I'll say about cheap tents is that we bought one to take to Chimay a few years ago with the intention all along of putting it in a bin after 4 nights there before we set off on another two weeks of touring Europe but stopping in hotels.

It was crap because it leaked like a sieve and we ended up soaked the first night we were there so for what we saved I'd sooner have spent £100 and thrown that in the bin but at least been dry :)
I say to a lot of people 'buy cheap, buy twice' and yet here I am. Nearly doing it to my self!!
Every now and again I fall for it.

For what else is out there £100 is cheap right?

I just want a no hassle tent, I guess they don't exist... :(
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

They do actually. They have two wheels and are named caravan. It's a tin tent and you drag it behind your vehicle of choice.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Dutchgit wrote:They do actually. They have two wheels and are named caravan. It's a tin tent and you drag it behind your vehicle of choice.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:The only thing I'll say about cheap tents is that we bought one to take to Chimay a few years ago with the intention all along of putting it in a bin after 4 nights there before we set off on another two weeks of touring Europe but stopping in hotels.

I say to a lot of people 'buy cheap, buy twice' and yet here I am. Nearly doing it to my self!!

Not sure if it was this thread or another, but somebody this morning mentioned a Kyham Igloo tent, which was almost as quick as a pop up tent, but should offer reasonable weather protection. They posted a link and it was about £150. Add another £200 for budget, but half decent sleeping pads and sleeping bags at £50 quid each, and your at £350. Add your pitch fees from a campsite each night, and camping has cost you the same as 3 nights in an expensive hotel, 7 nights in a cheap hotel, or 10-14 nights in a crappy motel. Of course your next trip you already have the gear.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

-Ralph- wrote:
OnHellas wrote:

Not sure if it was this thread or another, but somebody this morning mentioned a Kyham Igloo tent, which was almost as quick as a pop up tent, but should offer reasonable weather protection. They posted a link and it was about £150. Add another £200 for budget, but half decent sleeping pads and sleeping bags at £50 quid each, and your at £350. That's 3 nights in an expensive hotel, 7 nights in a cheap hotel, or 10-14 nights in a crappy motel.
We've got the other stuff already. I looked online at the Kyham range, they quote waterproof capability as 3000HH which is the same as the Eurohike pop 400 that I started of with.
Our plans could keep us away for 7 moths plus. I guess we will grow to love tents and buy a better one as we go or just chuck it away and............

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”