Using Kreiga R30 backpack as my only luggage ?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Bluepaul

Using Kreiga R30 backpack as my only luggage ?

Post by Bluepaul »

Planning a couple of four-day jolly's to Normandy and Ireland next year (thumbs)

I will be using Hotels/B&B's so I'll be travelling lightish.

I have the R30 backpack (which is fantastic) but I've only used it on day rides so far, with no problems.

Has anyone used this for multiple days ? and if so, any problems?

All my riding is at a leisurely pace (NC700X) and I like to stop and bimble around as and when something catches my eye.

So any feedback on the R30 appreciated.

Cheers
Paul
AustinW

Re: Using Kreiga R30 backpack as my only luggage ?

Post by AustinW »

They are bomb proof but not waterproof so pack stuff in lightweight dry bags. I have used an R25 to supplement my bikes bags on a few long trips (6weeks) but mainly for stuff like waterproofs, and stuff I pick up during the day. I also carry water in a bladder in the sleeve.

TBH they are a bit of pain as they are always in the way, get heavy after a long day, when off the bike but not in a hotel you have to lug it around or chance it left on the bike (I did strap mine to the bike to make it look like it was supposed to be there on the basis that all the rest of my luggage was just strapped on like that). A Lomo dry bag of similar size across the rack of pillion seat, or even as a tank bag is much better IMHO. Rokstraps make everything easy.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

No one can really give you an answer which has any real relevance Paul because nobody else has your body.

However a bit of rationality (what we used to use before we consulted The Internet for all answers) would suggest that if it's OK on a day ride one day, it'll be OK for a day ride the next day too.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

AustinW wrote:They are bomb proof but not waterproof so pack stuff in lightweight dry bags. I have used an R25 to supplement my bikes bags on a few long trips (6weeks) but mainly for stuff like waterproofs, and stuff I pick up during the day. I also carry water in a bladder in the sleeve.

TBH they are a bit of pain as they are always in the way, get heavy after a long day, when off the bike but not in a hotel you have to lug it around or chance it left on the bike (I did strap mine to the bike to make it look like it was supposed to be there on the basis that all the rest of my luggage was just strapped on like that). A Lomo dry bag of similar size across the rack of pillion seat, or even as a tank bag is much better IMHO. Rokstraps make everything easy.
I'm with Austin. Strap it onto the seat. Why carry the bugger?

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Personally I don't carry anymore than a CamelBak on my back.
I find the extra fatigue a rucksack causes is not nice.
And again, in my experience, fatigue does carry over from day to day if riding longer distances.
Also, why carry it yourself when you have a wonderfully capable motorcycle to carry it for you?

Pillion seat, rack, straps, sorted!

What ever you do, enjoy (thumbs)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Guys the nc700 rear seat lifts to acess the fuel filler....but a equivalent capacity dry bad would be my call...a quick strap down especially a top loading one so easy acess...normandy is ace to potter around...
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

AustinW wrote:They are bomb proof but not waterproof so pack stuff in lightweight dry bags.
I was told at the bike show that the R30 is fully waterproof as it has a dry bag liner. Was the salesman telling me porkies? :angry:
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

CRAIGREVO wrote:
AustinW wrote:They are bomb proof but not waterproof so pack stuff in lightweight dry bags.
I was told at the bike show that the R30 is fully waterproof as it has a dry bag liner. Was the salesman telling me porkies? :angry:
Nope, it was me talking out my arse. http://www.kriega.com/r30/
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I still have an R30 for sale if anybody is interested.

one-legged adventurer
crofty

Post by crofty »

You could always do what I do on my NC700X buy a spare rear seat and butcher it so you don,t have to remove your luggage
ncmods002.JPG
ncmods002.JPG (47.22 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”