I'm looking for a new tent....any recommendations??

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Chaps,

I am looking to replace my much loved and well travelled Coleman dome tent......but with what??

I want a 1 / 2 man tent with the outer fly being erected first. Lightweight and compact but not costing the earth.

I have been considering the Vango Tempest 200 but the lass at Go Outdoors couldn't tell me if it was an inner up first OR an outer up first.

It does not have to be four season with a massive hydrostatic head rating - if the weather is that bad then I am diving into the nearest hotel - I have done my fair share of wet expeditions!
Its going to be moved on each night, hence I don't need a larger one to keep my kit in.

I'd be looking to buy two (one for my dad) and have a tarp between them.

We can't share as he snores and Im a light sleeper.

Budget of around £100 but thats not too strict.
moto al

Re: I'm looking for a new tent....any recommendations??

Post by moto al »

Hi , have a look in go outdoors , they sell vango tents at a great discount, a three man tent max £120 , a great deal (thumbs) Al
moto al
Stuart123456789

Post by Stuart123456789 »

"trekking" are doing a valued taurus 3 man tent for £135 0n special, google vaude taurus, cheers
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

I'll take a look at the Vaude one, thanks.

I went to Go Outdoor in Blackburn to look at their 'Tent Arena' - it consisted of a blown down 6 man tent and a tatty 3 man tent. Plus, they wouldn't let my dad and I go outside into the tent area without supervision for 'Health and Safety reasons'! The tents are erected on astro turf and when its wet its slippy - I pointed out that most people coming to Go Outdoor are Outdoorsy people and used to slippy uneven surfaces....no joy! But thats an aside, ordinarily they have a good tent selection but not until March I have been told.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

If he snores and you pitch next to him you will still hear him... :whistle:

On a more serious note where do you intend to use it and what weather are you expecting? For instance if in hot arid regions this will have a definite impact on what tent as you don't want a sweat box and something with two doors would be good so you can get an air flow through.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

gsman

Post by gsman »

Try outdoor action in Blackburn its a proper old school outdoors shop and very helpfull
23 Years GS
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Oh and don't I know it!! At the HUBB at Donington last year I pitched up next to a bloke who had a real snore to him.
1am I had to unpeg my tent and drag it across the field!! AND I had ear plugs in. Its my issue though - as soon as I tune into a noise it just grates on me!!

The tent will be used around the Alps in May. Alpine France, into Italy, Solvenia.
ratass

Post by ratass »

Ginger wrote:Oh and don't I know it!! At the HUBB at Donington last year I pitched up next to a bloke who had a real snore to him.
1am I had to unpeg my tent and drag it across the field!! AND I had ear plugs in. Its my issue though - as soon as I tune into a noise it just grates on me!!

The tent will be used around the Alps in May. Alpine France, into Italy, Solvenia.
You heard him over the planes :-)
Jon
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

How about a Slumit Cub :- http://www.slumit.co.uk/
They are a bit bulky when packed but very easy to erect, recommended to me by people on this forum, not used it yet but delivered quickly and when I put it up in a trial run it all went as per their video.
steveio

Post by steveio »

Mini-peak 2, great bit of kit with lots of space for bike kit

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF101.html

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”