Alternative to Tents

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
scouse

Re:Alternative to Tents

Post by scouse »

So the question has to be asked .... where the hell do you keep your boots and other gear? In the tent?
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Mark Manley

Post by Mark Manley »

Alun wrote:
There is no logical reason for motorcycle touring with a bivi.
I have a Terra Nova lazer competition for taking on the bicycle, this tent weighs less than 1kg, I am not sure why anybody would want to take a bivi which will save little or no weight.

My much missed Eureka hobbit has been confined to the bin after 12 years of loyal service and I am now looking for a replacement.
As with the hobbit I want one which fits inside the panniers which means a pole length of not more that 470mm which presents a bit of a challenge, does anybody know of a two man tent with this length pole? I generally ignore pack size which can be 20mm longer.

The other criteria on which I am totally undecided is whether the inner or outer should be self supporting, both have their merits and drawbacks.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
Trailqiest

Post by Trailqiest »

As the one who started this particular discussion some three months ago it has been interesting to see it develop. What has it revealed?

Well, everyone has their own way of doing things and are generally happy with their solutions. If it works for you that's great.

I happen to think Mark 1961 is absolutely right. There is no single solution to suit all adventures and you need to plan accordingly to provide the most appropriate solution. The more travel / expeditions you do the more you will learn what is, and what is not required, and the more comfortable you will become using the simplest of solutions. Learn from your mistakes but, even better - learn from the mistakes of others!
appleby

Post by appleby »

Terra Nova Superlite Voyager! 1.5kg.

I sent my Dutch army bivi for repairs a while back - 1.3kg on the Post Office scales!

I rest my case! Image
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

interesting posts for the good and bad points, I know I carry too much but to phrase it better the bike does, if it was strapped to my back then I would have a rethink. I carry and will always pack again my BivviBag, standard Army issue I use it with an exped inflatable mat, rolled up together they pack small enough to lose in a pannier, I still have a Vaude 3 man tent with me as well but prefere the bivvi bag for ease.
If its raining or looks like a heavy downpour is due then I'll pitch the tent
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

flamair

Re: Alternative to Tents

Post by flamair »

Lightest thing to pack when motorcycle touring and needing a dry and warm/secure place to stay is a bit of plastic with which to pay for a B&B or hotel/hostel!!!

If you are genuinely in a remote area then great - I have a Coleman Adrenaline 2 tent which is a fine pice of kit and has given me excellent service. But whenever possible, give me a cheap B&B every time - my back loves me for it!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember, you're unique!

(Just like everyone else)
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

I use a vango equinox 350 5.3kg pack size 49 x19 cm
Love this tent very comfy if the weather turns
i also take a tarp which is great if its to hot or wet
P1010195.JPG
P1010195.JPG (71.17 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
All my camping stuff fit in my dry bag
Tent
Tarp
Air beds
sleeping bags
2 tripod stools
P1010195.JPG
P1010195.JPG (71.17 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

appleby

Post by appleby »

Another thumbs up for the Exuinox - the best & warmest tent for winter use.

And have a star JK - looks like you need it!
T.REX63

Post by T.REX63 »

I've tried the bivy/tarp combination for "kicks'n giggles" a couple of weeks ago on a particularly wet weekend. While I was lucky to have picked by coincident the only elevated spot, IMO it is not a good solution when on a longer trip, unless you know there is no overnight rain.

I do love my Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT. It has served me well in downpours and all night rain. Plenty of vestibule. But, as usual, a 2 person tent is usually fine for 1 person only, especially with riding gear that needs to be stored too.

jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

T.REX63 wrote:I've tried the bivy/tarp combination for "kicks'n giggles" a couple of weeks ago on a particularly wet weekend. While I was lucky to have picked by coincident the only elevated spot, IMO it is not a good solution when on a longer trip, unless you know there is no overnight rain.

I do love my Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT. It has served me well in downpours and all night rain. Plenty of vestibule. But, as usual, a 2 person tent is usually fine for 1 person only, especially with riding gear that needs to be stored too.

Like your style mate love my camping stuff

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”