Useful Kit - Cooking and Water Filtration

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Magnum

Re:Useful Kit - Cooking and Water Filtration

Post by Magnum »

Good advice Kev.

Plus, a lot of the issues with water are common sense. A clear fast moving stream up high in a mountain is far less likely to be contaminated that a filthy puddle in the tropics.

Agreed, Iodine does not have a good rep and persistent long term use is not advised.

It sounds like we need a water filter test in a future issue of Adventure Bike Rider.
davsato

Post by davsato »

Andy Leett wrote:
I'm a recent convert to the Trangia system, I like its simplicity and the fact it all packs down quite small.
me too, very impressed with a trangia 27 with gas conversion, boils fast as a jetboil and i think the jetboil is too tall, always looks like its going to fall over to me.

because it boils so fast its very easy on the gas, a small 150g can lasts for two meals a day for a long weekend (but not a whole week, not the end of the world) and all packs away into the windsheild
Dave

Post by 03001978 »

I am part of the trangia crowd although somewhere hiding amongst all my camping gear there is a MSR pocket rocket.

I am a stickler for packing my bike, things have to be a certain logical way to save buggering about at the other end but there must be no rattles so my trangia has a tea towel in between each pan because that can rattle like no other and drive me up the frigging wall.

REGARDS
CW
Nessmuk

Post by Nessmuk »

I've tried a few stoves over the last few years and keep coming back to meths stoves, currently using a Trangia 27. They are slow, but they get there, so as long as you're not in a rush it's great. Gives you time to sit and think/watch while cooking.

So far I've never been anywhere that didn't have water available, Sweden is the best, you could drink straight from the lakes where I stayed. But, as an experiment I have done a couple of weekend camps sourcing my own water. I took in two litres and filtered and boiled the rest from a nearby stream. I used a Millbank bag to filter and boiled what I'd filtered. It's a right old palaver and really makes you appreciate the water you get.

One of the biggest pains for me was waiting for it to cool down so I could drink it!
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

I have not tried water filtration yet . but for a stove I have ..
Swedish Army Trangia

meths stove . best bit packs together nicely and second hand £13 .. £18 for a new one

typical scotsman.. :side:
Nessmuk

Post by Nessmuk »

I've got a couple of those mess kits, very good they are too. One in stainless and one in aluminium.

Forgot to mention in my last post about the Primus Litech frying pan. It is a superb bit of kit, made to last. The handle folds and it comes with its own little bag. The nonstick coating is fantastic and is very hard wearing. It is quite deep to so you can use it like a pot as well as a frying pan.

If you only take one pan then this is the one you should have. I've used mine on stoves and open fires and it is still in great condition. The matching kettle is pretty good too.
Alun

Post by Alun »

This thread is turning into a Trangia love in, and I approve. How's about a collection of pics of our Trangias in action. The location does not matter (living room or isle in Tesco is fine)it's just a display of devotion to our fav camp stove.

I can't believe I've just written the above.

Post by 03001978 »

As a Scotsman

We have to start with a hearty bowl of Scots Porridge followed by bacon roll all washed down a cup of tea. This gave me the energy for a full day of cycling on Day 1 of my Lands End - John O-Groats cycle this time last year.

REGARDS
CW

Post by 03001978 »

03001978 wrote:
As a Scotsman

We have to start with a hearty bowl of Scots Porridge followed by bacon roll all washed down a cup of tea. This gave me the energy for a full day of cycling on Day 1 of my Lands End - John O-Groats cycle this time last year.

REGARDS
CW
P1000112__Small_.JPG
P1000112__Small_.JPG (32.8 KiB) Viewed 2360 times

Post by 03001978 »

...and the porridge.

Alun, posting pictures on here is a faff, when you want to try and post more than one! and why if the photos are too large does it post the message anyway!
P1000129__Small_.JPG
P1000129__Small_.JPG (32.62 KiB) Viewed 2360 times

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”