Survey: Sleeping Bag Temp ratings

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

I know there's another sleeping bag thread just been opened, but I think it would be a good resource to get some info together on different bags and experiences on their temperature ratings.
I'm looking for a new bag and was thinking about going for a down bag. In my experiance the bag I have now is very optimistic on the temp rating...

So if you could provide the following info I'm sure it would help me and others in choosing a sleeping bag:

Make & Model:
Min Temp Exp: ( the minimum temp in which you have used the bag. pls state if you guessed the temp or if it was measured. Also if you were in the buff or your thermals?? )
Mat: ( state which mat you were using )
Tent?: ( state if you were in a tent, tarp, al fresco? )

Thanks,

Nick.
Selous

Re: Survey: Sleeping Bag Temp ratings

Post by Selous »

Silly question how would any one know how cold it is unless they have a thermomiter with them.
My understanding is most bags habe to be tested for the temp.
Not sure if used in conjinction with %100 liner & mat or just bag.
At a.guess a bag on its own.
Of course your theory is subjective as some ppl find a 2 season is just right all year round others dont some use liner some dont (liner is always a good idea)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Bags should come with a temperature range. The middle to higher temperature range is the one to look at for a comfortable night in most circumstances.

The middle to lower temperatures quoted are the temperatures at which you probably won't die of hypothermia provided you are properly fed and watered, fit, young, male, wearing decent thermals, sleeping curled up on a well insulated mat, and in a small tent. You won't have slept much though, at the extreme low temp you will probably have been shivering and awake throughout the night.

Men usually sleep a few degrees warmer than women, ie men can get away with a bag rated for slightly warmer conditions, eg -10c for women = -5c for men. Big roomy bags always cooler than snug fitting mummy bags.

Eating something like a mars bar just before getting into the bag helps to keep warm too, as does a hat.

I have two down bags : a nanok headline rated/marketed at -5 and a helsport headline rated/marketed at 0. The helsport is the warmer. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

AustinW wrote:
I have two down bags : a nanok headline rated/marketed at -5 and a helsport headline rated/marketed at 0. The helsport is the warmer. Go figure.

Exactly the reason for my post.

One mfg's -5 is anothers -10!

I had a snugpak bag comfort rated to 0. Ive used it in what I would say was down to about 6 to 8 deg and froze my nads off (the beers didnt help).

Nick
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Nickw909 wrote:
AustinW wrote:

Exactly the reason for my post.

One mfg's -5 is anothers -10!

I had a snugpak bag comfort rated to 0. Ive used it in what I would say was down to about 6 to 8 deg and froze my nads off (the beers didnt help).

Nick
No, it's the way they market them. The Nanok is marketed as a -5 bag but thats the start of its extreme limit.

If The Helsport bag was marketed on the same basis it would be a -15.

Look for reference to EN standard 13537.

i had a snugpak bag once. It was rubbish.

exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

my Down bag is rated to -5
Elephant rally 2 years ago, I slept in tee shirt and long johns in the bag, inside a Gortex bivi bag, in the tent.
It went down to -12. Slept like a baby. (thumbs)
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

AustinW wrote:
Eating something like a mars bar just before getting into the bag helps to keep warm too, as does a hat.
Would a Hat be hard to digest late at night ? :whistle:
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

If you want to consider something totally different have a look at a Buffalo 'system' sleeping bag where you can mix and match different component parts to give you whatever you need for the conditions at the time. It doesn't matter if it gets wet because like all other Buffalo kit it dries very quickly with nothing more than body heat but it's not cheap. I used mine for winter mountaineering with a bivvie bag rather than a tent and only a closed cell foam mat underneath with no real problems and I'm only skinny so feel the cold a lot.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/product ... eep-system
Roadcaptain

Post by Roadcaptain »

Rab Neutrino Endurance 600
Lower limit -14
used at +2 on a Exped UL7 sleep mat in the buff
very toastie

you should always sleep in a bag in the buff with just a hat on if you get cold

and the Rab is British
Womble

Post by Womble »

why in the buff? Surely more layers = more warmth?
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”