Survey: Sleeping Bag Temp ratings

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
davem

Post by davem »

Sleeping bag temp ratings are a nightmare - too many variables to make it simple and no universally recognised system. Having said that there is a useful description that you may find helpful here:

http://www.wildtrak.com/page.asp?id=31

Buy down and add a silk liner if you want to boost the warmth rating a tad. Unless you plan to do some serious winter camping you can probably get away with a three season bag.
Roadcaptain

Re: Survey: Sleeping Bag Temp ratings

Post by Roadcaptain »

Womble wrote:why in the buff? Surely more layers = more warmth?
a bag is designed to reflect your body heat and create a layer of warm air around you, if you wear clothes the clothes will stop the bag warming up inside so that you will not feel the benefit of the bag. If you get really cold the most you should/can wear is one set of thermals
bimota

Post by bimota »

Dazzer wrote:
AustinW wrote:
Eating something like a mars bar just before getting into the bag helps to keep warm too, as does a hat.
Would a Hat be hard to digest late at night ? :whistle:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yer eating a hat late at night f-ck that
davem

Post by davem »

Roadcaptain wrote:
Womble wrote:why in the buff? Surely more layers = more warmth?
a bag is designed to reflect your body heat and create a layer of warm air around you, if you wear clothes the clothes will stop the bag warming up inside so that you will not feel the benefit of the bag. If you get really cold the most you should/can wear is one set of thermals
It's a bit more complicated than that. If you are cold when you get into your bag you are in for a cold night. You need to be warm to heat up the bag. Eating the right kind of food and/or doing some exercises to warm up before you get in the bag is best. Wearing thermals and/or fleece will allow your body heat to warm up the bag. If you wear more clothes it just takes longer for the bag to warm up but it will warm up if you generate enough body heat (hence the right kind of food). Insulation under you and the amount of down in your bag are key to keeping warm.

There is a good explanation here:

http://www.andy-Kirkpatrick.com/article ... ags_warmth
Elle

Post by Elle »

Make & Model: Mountain Equipment - down filled
Min Temp Exp: -17 max (min) rating
Mat: A CampingGaz air bed
Tent: a 2 man Vango Beta

I feel cold very easily so I avoid camping in winter wherever possible. My sleeping bag is not adequate enough on its own in low temps. So I usually layer up.

I heard at the ABR Cumbria in November, that the temp dropped to about -4 on Saturday. But I was warm, almost too warm (woke with a damp back):
- I wore merino thermals and a hat
- I used a synthetic liner (don't like silk ones)
- I put my sleeping bag inside a thin fleecy bag
- I lay on top of a 5 tog summer duvet (the luxury of taking a van)

I'll never buy a down sleeping bag again. I'm considering an exped mattress.
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

Thanks for all the replies, some good info about what to do and not to do.

Elle, why dont you like a down bag? I like the exped down mat, very comfy.

Nick.
Elle

Post by Elle »

Nickw909 wrote:Elle, why dont you like a down bag? I like the exped down mat, very comfy.
Small tent - always concerned about it touching the sides whilst I move about. Also, the down also flattens underneath me and doesn't seem to provide much warmth under my back. I've never known a synthetic bag do that.

What's the advantage over buying an exped down over a synthetic one?
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

The down mat has a higher warmth rating, although I don't think there is much in it.

Think it might pack smaller also.

Nick.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”