Jetboil Stoves, should I shouldn't I ?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Mul001

Jetboil Stoves, should I shouldn't I ?

Post by Mul001 »

Ok there's likely to be for and against in buckets (probably more for than against but I shouldn't pre-judge), anyway...

I've read a lot of reviews, magazines, on-line, seen 'em in action. I umm'd and ah'd in the shops and actually picked one up & walked halfway to the till before deciding against it - I'm just not convinced about one :blink: for what I think is a good reason or two (to me at least).

When I go camping I usually take some bacon and other non-prepacked. At the last Ullapool rally my Bacon buttie cooked on my wee pan set me up for the day. Now here's the thing can you use a Jetboil for "normal" cooking or does it do what it says on the tin and boil (water, soup, pre-packed meals etc). I just can't see it cooking bacon, never mind cleaning it afterwards. And doesn't £80 quid or so for a kettle (ok, i'm being slightly disingenuous ... posh ultra quick boil kettle :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ) seems a lot of dosh. If I have to take my normal cooking kit with me as well that defeats my object of traveling light.

In principle, I like the concept, compact pack-up and self storage and style, they've been well thought out, however ...

Thoughts and opinions please. What do you cook in yours and have I got the wrong end of the stick.

Chrz Mul.
Mike54

Re: Jetboil Stoves, should I shouldn't I ?

Post by Mike54 »

here's an honest review for you

for brews - nothing beats it, I mean nothing. just brilliant
for cooking - hm not so great. the pan is ok but its almost impossible not to burn what you're cooking. also quite unstable. you have to be careful with the neoprene covers as if they slip even a mm too low they will smoulder and burn

so in summary, i wouldnt be without mine for making coffee (the coffee press is good) but for cooking I use something else.
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

i think you've summed it up perfect, I've got one but other than boiling and maybe warming liquids up it's not much good for anything else..great for a quick brew on the side of the road thou
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

Having just returned from Europe the Jet Boil was superb in all weathers and quickly boiled the water. I had coffee in minutes anywhere I wanted and would not be without it. I was sceptical first but after using it for a while reckon its well worth the money. Cooking wise I use a small Ti burner £20 from Field and Trek which fits the bottles.

For drinks and liquids its perfect. If you get one go for the Jet Boil Flash as its got the built in ignitor
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

I've had one for years, think it excels at hot drinks and water / liquid based meals. It is just too powerful for "proper cooking". However I have perfected the art of cooking a tin of "beans n sausages" on a miniscule heat setting and stiring it really quickly to avoid too much clearing up.

I have also got the pan and lid which has more of a teflon type surface. I can do bacon in that, but real sausages tend to get their skins stuck on the surface unless extreme care is taken.
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Great for fast on the hoof touring:-
Here's a fast meal example with no washing up.
3/4 fill with water.
Fold military type foil Dinner pack in half & place in water.
Fire up burner & Bring to the boil.
Turn off & leave for 2 minutes.(Turn over foil pack after one minute)
Fire up burner & bring to the boil.
Remove dinner pack (now hot)
Put tea bag etc in boiled water.
Tear open ration pack & eat hot contents from bag with a spork.
Fix tea (milk sugar & stir)
Drink tea.
Pack away JetBoil.
Bin empty food bag.
5 minutes you've had a hot meal & a brew with no wash up.

If you're @ a static camp use a normal cooker/trangia & cook properly.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

You want a Trangia...nothing beats them. Boils a pint of water in 4 mins. Mine does everything.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Babbs

Post by Babbs »

2p worth from an Army perspective: :woohoo:

I have both a JetBoil and a dual fuel stove.

Jet boil is an expensive kettle but allows me to 'brew-up' and fill my jack flask in about 2 minutes, a little longer and I can heat my army rations too! (thumbs)

However, in colder climates, the gas cans are temperamental as the gas turns to liquid for and is not to great for brew making, or any cooking! :dry:

As a result I also carry small dual fuel stove, (recently re-acquired after being with out one for several years) that can run on almost anything and works wonders with a little petrol siphoned from the tank if I need too! (thumbs)

The choice is yours! :S
Brads

Post by Brads »

TRANGIA !

Trust me
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

This thread will run and run :)

Jetboil is perfect for 'boil in the bag' stuff and brews.

Can't beat a Coleman Multi-fuel for other stuff.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”