Trailer

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Big Stu

Trailer

Post by Big Stu »

Just got back from a few nights camping in York. First time camping for the Mrs. so only a couple of hours away in case she did not like it. Fortunately she did.

While we where there, a guy from Oz had a GS with a trailer, complete with solar panels to charge this lap top up. Very clever set up to carry the weight of tent etc.
Has anyone got a trailer, any experience of using one, where did you get it?
Kind of something look into, drag the stuff to campsite, then have creature comforts, while using it as a base to tour around a given area.
The chap ship`s his bike to different parts of the world, has all the stuff he needs to be comfy, very smart.

If you are wanting a campsite in York by the way, Ashfield is a cracking one run by very nice folk.

Any hoo, thanks in advance on any info regards the trailer.
Stu
johnnyboxer

Re: Trailer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Check out the Goldwing forum

They'll let you know :laugh:

One for sale on UKGSER a few weeks ago
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

I saw a thread on the WRR Forum in the states who had one for long trips off road. Really clever especially considering where it was being used. One wheel front and back with the "carrying Platform" between them and towed behind a WR250R.
Not all those wandering are lost
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I met one of the guys on this forum who has a trailer he tows and he really liked it, I can't remember where he said he got it from though :blush:
Hopefully he will pipe up

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
hondapaneuro

Post by hondapaneuro »

I built one back in 2001 and dragged it around Europe behind my 1500 GoldWing for 3 weeks (woeful brakes, overheated on some passes). Then modified it to hold even more when I changed to a ST1300abs taking it N Spain (no problem with brakes).
Built using 5cwt suspension units and 10" wheels, car roof box on 2x2 box frame, tow hitch had 360deg swivel in the rail behind it.
Trailer towed great behind both bikes and once moving you'd hardly know it was there.
Length and weight distribution are important. Trailer must not exceed 1m wide.
I'm thinking of 'doing' another one to tow with my Varadero - this time much lighter construction, using bigger scooter wheels and spring/shocks rather than heavy suspension units and mini hubs.
Attachments
Capture.JPG2.JPG
Capture.JPG2.JPG (51.55 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (39.6 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
griffo

Post by griffo »

I had I trailer on my GSA it towed great and the bike felt no different with it on. Takes all the weight from the bike as well.
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

I think I'm the guy that Redmurty met - I have a trailer which I tow behind my R850GS, and I have recently bought a tow bar to fit my R1100RT.

Here is my rig at the Devon Rally last December:

Biketrailertent.jpg
Biketrailertent.jpg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 2453 times

My trailer is a Freewheel International which I bought on ebay. My tow bar was also made by Freewheel, but I went to them and had it made for the bike. I got there about 9.30 on Saturday morning, and they were ready with the towing bracket on a little stand at the right height. Put the bike on its centre stand in the workshop with the tow bracket a few inches behind the rear wheel and they set to finding good mounting points, then cutting, bending and welding steel bar and pipe to make the bracket. Tack welded it on the bike, then took it off to finish the welding and paint it. They were going to fit the electric socket using Scotchlok connecters, but I really dislike those so chose to take it away and fit it myself. It was all done by 12.30.

When towing, I find that the trailer is hardly noticeable, and it certainly handles better than a really heavily loaded bike with luggage piled on the pillion seat and on top of the top box. The extra weight of the trailer obviously does have an effect, but most things you do on a bike are done with constant adjustment and the effect of the trailer is easily adjusted for - if I'm not stopping quickly enough, I apply more pressure to the lever. The trailer does not even affect mpg much - I suspect that the extra effort to tow the trailer is offset by going a bit slower and by the fact that the trailer tends to be used on longer journeys with less acceleration and braking.

Main benefit, other than shifting high up weight off the bike, is that I can upgrade the kit that I can carry, so I have a tent I can stand up in instead of my old tent which was fine whilst lying down but I had to be a contortionist to get dressed inside. I also have a really comfortable bed instead of a Thermarest and a similarly comfortable folding chair, and I can take a barbecue instead of a tiny cooker. Even in the freezing temps last December, I was snug and comfortable.

The downsides of towing don't bother me much. Lower speed limits apply, but when I am towing I am usually not up against a deadline. Filtering is a challenge, but I don't often use the trailer for commuting.

Post up any specific questions you have, and I will try to answer them.
Big Stu

Post by Big Stu »

Class, thanks for the reply s.
Yes Sledgegreen, that`s the kitty.
Not had a trailer before so no idea what was involved, but the idea of reducing weight and using my Outwell Nevada M tent. 18 kg 5 man tent so I can move around, electrics etc is a bonus.
Will have a look at Freewheel.
Stu
Chris TeeDeeEmm

Post by Chris TeeDeeEmm »

http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=28157

May be of interest to somebody as a first trailer??

I was tempted at his asking price even if I never used it, but finances don't allow at the minute.

Chris
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

Hi Stu,
I tow a Detmar (Squire copy) behind my Goldwing and I've had no problems or real issues. The width behind the Goldwing isn't an issue, probably no wider than my @ with Ardcases on. Other than braking distances the only time you notice it's there is if you're on a sweeping bend with undulations. You feel a little wallowing from behind but never butt-clenching muscle spasms. I only use it when the wife or daughter join me because we got to take the double burner cooker, the gas fridge, table & chairs, etc
Adventure before Dementia

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”