Multi Tool

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Freeloadeur

Re: Multi Tool

Post by Freeloadeur »

Oops, we totally dragged the topic away from useful compact tools for motorcyclists, onto the weirdness of British law, so to take it back to where it should be, I give you.....

The Cool Tool.

The Cool Tool was a child of the 90's, one of the first multi-tools which appeared in the wake of the mountain bike boom (I guess road cyclists never broke anything). It was claimed to be something like a 17 piece tool kit, although I'm not certain I ever found all 17, but within a four inch package you got:

Adjustable spanner, 3, 4, 5 and I think 6mm Allen keys, a Phillips head screwdriver, a spoke key, a chain tool, a tire iron (if you were careful) 12 & 13mm sockets, and a beer bottle opener.

Now some of those are no use to motorcyclists, the chain tool and spike key are far too small, but the rest is amazingly useful if you spend a bit of time and a few quid tweaking your bike beforehand by replacing as many of the hex-head bolts you can with Allen-head bolts (stainless is even better).

I was lucky, most of the bolts on my Derbi are Allen-heads already, replacing four more means with my trusty Cool Tool I can undo every fastener bar the head stock, wheels and spark plug.

Sadly they were bought out by Gerber in the mid-nineties who quietly stopped production, but occasionally they come up on Ebay, usually only to get snapped up by those in the know.

Now if someone could produce something similar for motorbikes, they'd be on to a winner I reckon, and not a blade in sight.
Happiness has 125cc ...
davsato

Post by davsato »

Freeloadeur wrote:Oops, we totally dragged the topic away from useful compact tools for motorcyclists, onto the weirdness of British law, so to take it back to where it should be,
+1
quite right.
Freeloadeur wrote:
I give you.....

The Cool Tool.
looks a bit like the newer GUPPIE from CRKT. columbia river stuff is great quality but i found this a bit too small to be really useful.
Dave
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
devon john

Post by devon john »

i have used a leatherman for about 15yrs the original lost that now the titanium charge
a good well made tool.
i have also had gurber and SOG ( this is used for work and used every day) but the leatherman is the better tool.
i carry a leatherman on each bike in its tool kit

john
devon john

Post by devon john »

Gavinskii wrote:A vote here for the motion pro

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/t ... -tool.html
i have one of these an imperial model for the Harley
very well made

john
Blueoffroader400

Post by Blueoffroader400 »

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-11 ... rod816152/

11 Piece Stainless Steel Ratchet Driver & Bit Set

Key featuresMore information
Stainless steel 1/4" hex mini reversible ratchet
Only 40mm deep including screwdriver tip
Reversible rachet mechanism
9 x 1/4" hex stainless steel screwdriver tips
2 x pozi, 2 x philips, 3 x torx & 2 x slotted
1/4" hex stainless steel magnetic bit holder
Supplied with belt clip holder

Buy now
select options and quantity
11 Piece Stainless Steel Ratchet Driver & Bit Set Enter quantity
Quantity discounts
£11.00 Inc VAT
Order code: 210318

:) I have one and its a great small handy tool
R1200GSA, KTM Exc 300, L200 Warrior
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Brenhden wrote:Now, as an ex scout leader I think I can safely say that if you will only ever get in trouble for carrying a knife if you look dodgy. If you are a practical looking person (a camper, a carpenter etc) you will be fine. If you are stood on a street corner dressed in a hoody or illegally in someone elses house you will be arrested.
I don't know what model my Leatherman is (¿plural = leathermen? :laugh: ) but it doesn't lock. Nevertheless it was taken from me when* I went into the mausoleum in the Valley of the fallen in case I decreated Franco's tomb- I mean, desecrate the tomb of a fascist mass murderer, Moi? :evil:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
GB

Post by GB »

Mmm Leathermans :blush: bit embarrassed as I have a few, the charge or wave with the tool kit will cover most issues and has got me and others out of a spot or two. In my Kriega I have the crunch and the Charge at all times, I also have a Juice Xe6 (which does have a corkscrew on but no locking blades) I used to use it as an EDC but its a bit heavy so it lives in the kitchen draw for household emergencies, I carry a Squirt PS4 for that now, small but used daily. I get asked nearly everyday at work "have you got your leatherman thingy in your pocket?"
Never had one fail but have lost two :(
Finally back on a GS :D
davsato

Post by davsato »

i cant resist a gadget- one of these came today

[ebay]261196775507[/ebay]

i thought it would be rubbish but its surprisingly good quality, its no victorinox but easily up to gerber standards. the blade (legal carry) is carbon steel so it'll sharpen nicely. rust nicely too though. the monkey wrench opens to about 1/2"
Dave
Niklas

Post by Niklas »

I would sure like this SOG S/B 66 L or N multitool:

[video][/video]

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/sog/sog-s ... ssist.html

http://www.heinnie.com/Pocket-Tools/SOG ... -224-3731/

The reason for this particular choise is the option to customize the tools in it.

You can actually buy single tools and replace the already excisting tools inside the multitool.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”