Small vs Large tent

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Mattrace1

Small vs Large tent

Post by Mattrace1 »

Anyone got an opinion on whether a small tent is warmer than a large tent?

In theory it does due to the smaller volume of air to heat or does the tent not insulate enough to make a difference? I guess the tent does make a difference to wind chill though...?
MHsnowy

Re: Small vs Large tent

Post by MHsnowy »

Sometimes the smaller tents condensate more due to less airflow so anything crammed into the small tent gets wet.

Personally I prefer a bigger tent so I can walk in and out and have some storage room.

Very personal choice!
Nibbler

Post by Nibbler »

Always felt warmer in a smaller tent ,but its a bit subjective as I have never had all four pitched at the same place at the same time, what you sleep in and on is probably the greater consideration.

From a biking point of view, having sufficient space to doff and store wet kit and still keep the sleeping area dry is a significant factor hence the popularity of the tents with annex.
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

I've used several different tents in a range of situations, so this is based on my personal use.

I used a small one man tent in the Alps and although it warmed up quite quick and stayed warm during the night the temperature difference with the outside caused a lot of condensation in the tent and made things very wet.
I also have a good two man tent that has room for me and my kit and because of the good quality materials everything stays nice and warm and is very draught proof
Finally, my latest tent is a Tentipi tent, it's a large tent and because of the height (I can stand up in) it can be quite cold, however, the tent is designed to be used with three types of heater, a stove, an open fire and a meths burner. I personally have a meths burner and it will run nearly all night and warms the tent up quite quickly. If you're coming to the Christmas rally, stick your head in the door and feel the warmth!
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Small and little ventalation equals condensation...my vango with porch is 1.2 kg and 10cm pack size smaller than a coleman avior x2..but has huge porch..sleeping area is slightly bigger and just as warm..

agree a good bag and matt along with wolly hat is warmest..also use a bivy to keep the clothes warm and avoid the dreaded morning chill..

if its dry warm camping climate I just use the bivy bag..
Mattrace1

Small vs Large tent

Post by Mattrace1 »

I have both a;

A small 2 man with I have had for 2 years and served me very well, just during my 2 week tour of Scotland/North England before and after the Ullapool rally found it very good just to small with wet gear

I have also just bought a redverz style copy which has standing headroom and a porch etc.

In terms of pack size the bigger tent is 1cm longer and wider and 1kg heavier so not much difference in that way but having observed the larger tents in the wind at Ullapool I am sceptical of larger's high wind capability

I am hoping to come to the Exmoor rally (won't know till next week) and was wondering which one to take. I took my little 2 man to the freeze rally on dartmoor last year and was not cold, so I'm really not sure which one to bring!

MarkN definately interested in looking at your teepee tent and your heater. Thanks
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Mattrace1 wrote:
MarkN definately interested in looking at your teepee tent as they are light, and your heater.
Ahh! Now there lies the down side, they're not that light, my tent is about 10kg, so quite a big pack, but there are a lot more upsides.
big al

Post by big al »

I think a smaller tent would be somewhat warmer.
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

in the good old days when Vango Force Ten's were made of cotton, there was no condensation issues. A two man VFT would be great in all weater, and having camped in minus -18 in the Cairngorms a few times, a Primus stove inside and all the clothes you were carrying, plus TWO sleeping bags from the Green Shield Stamp catalogue, and bobs your red nose. Getting up in the morning was a completely different thing.... :blink:

I like a bit of room (being a fat bugga), an use my 3 man with big porch for short breaks.

Happy Camping
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
DRrob

Post by DRrob »

i found small tents are a pain when it comes to stashing all ya gear,so with that in mind i got a khyam scafell 400 for when i went round europe for 2 weeks last year.
it's not the lightest or the samllest pack size but it fits on the bike ok and ain't much more width than my drybag.
plenty of room to keep kit in and having the porch allowed me to keep wet gear seperate.
no problems with condensation or any rain getting in.

takes longer to peg it than it does to pop it up. :) though i did find there's a knack to folding it down and packing back in the bag so used some 2inch wide velcro to wrap round it as a 3rd hand.

as others have pointed out i feel it's what you use to sleep in that keeps you warm,not the tent..thats just to keep you dry :)

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”