Soft Bag Comparison: Adv Spec Magadan; Enduristan Monsoon, Kriega Overlander, Giant Loop Siskiyou

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Chris S

Re: Soft Bag Comparison: Adv Spec Magadan; Enduristan Monsoon, Kriega Overlander

Post by Chris S »

...The Magadan panniers have a special kevlar fabric, claimed to be similar to that used in ballistic vests making then stab/slash proof and loops to run a PacSafe cable lock right round bag and rack. You could, of course, cut the loops off with a blunt Swiss Army knife, squeeze the bags a bit to get the cable out the way, and then run off with the lot, but it's better than nothing. Realistically no soft luggage will be as theft resistant as good hard-luggage, but then when you're deep in the heart of the Empty Quarter or the marshland of Siberia there's not that many people around to knick your stuff anyway. The good thing about some of these soft bags with a separate drop-liner is that if you're worried you can always lift the inner bag out and stash in in the security of your RipStop nylon tent....
Well summed up, Freelo.

The Mag fabric looks like ordinary Cordura to me and I've searched for vids demonstrating the stab-proofness of the Twaron fabric used but couldn't find any. And I've since learned that the term 'ballistic nylon' is rather loosely used - dates back to WW2, long before kevlar- (or aramid-) based Twaron.

But while melting holes to rivet on D-rings to secure the bags (it's the one thing they're missing - did I say that?), a red-hot nail slipped through the D-ring strap like it wasn't there but took repeated stabbings to get through the Mag fabric, and as it did so you could see the golden yarn of the Twaron I've seen on industrial promo images.

Hard to believe but perhaps indeed it would take some slashing to get into them. Would still be nice to see a demo, though. I imagine the loops for the cable lock are also Twaron.
Chris S

Re: Soft Bag Comparison: AdvSpec Magadan; Enduristan Monsoon, Kriega Overlander, Giant Loop Siskiyou

Post by Chris S »

Just had a close look at some of the new Giant Loop Siskiyou throwovers and added them to the comparison table a few posts back. Full impressions here.

In a line: chunky, foam padded shell, removable liner but not as big as they say and £465...

Willandkate

Re: Soft Bag Comparison: AdvSpec Magadan; Enduristan Monsoon, Kriega Overlander, Giant Loop Siskiyou

Post by Willandkate »

Just to make your decision harder I'll throw in that Orleib and Andy Strapz are also both very good bags
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG (37.96 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
nigel page

Post by nigel page »

Some soft bags i made myself
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

nigel page wrote:Some soft bags i made myself
Clever, invisible bags, impossible to steal.
Happiness has 125cc ...
nigel page

Post by nigel page »

DSC_0072.JPG
DSC_0072.JPG (45.27 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
DSC_0072_2013-03-27.JPG
DSC_0072_2013-03-27.JPG (45.27 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
nigel page

Post by nigel page »

DSC_0071.JPG
DSC_0071.JPG (42.97 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Nice job Nigel. What fabric did you use? Did you sew or heat weld? (I take it they got a stiff back to hang on the rack?) That's what I was all set to do. Heat welding PVC (Like Ortlieb) with a heat gun and roller is actually quite easy (vids on youtube).

Then ASpec Magadans came along which were better than anything I could have bodged together.
nigel page

Post by nigel page »

Lorry tarp with 14 oz canvas inside,metal plate inside stitched so far water tight.
Tim Cullis

Re: Soft Bag Comparison: Adv Spec Magadan; Enduristan Monsoon, Kriega Overlander, Giant Loop Siskiyou

Post by Tim Cullis »

I've not had a huge success with soft luggage—Oxford throw-overs on my XR400R melted quite spectacularly—so I'd certainly agree that pannier frames or the like are needed. And once you stick those on the bike, half the weight advantage of soft vs hard luggage and one third of the price advantage disappears.

Like Chris, most of my touring is solo in fairly remote areas, and there's circumstances when I prefer the security of hard luggage—when you are by yourself and need to go to the loo or check out a hotel there's no mates around to look after your gear. Similarly paying for fuel, clearing customs entering a country, wild camping, ferries... I travelled on the same overnight Ameria to Melilla ferry route as Chris when he got his gear nicked from his soft luggage but my possessions were safe in metal panniers.

Some soft luggage is armoured, but the tea leaf doesn't know it, so I'd be worried that he is attracted to the bike and ends up nicking something or damaging the bike out of frustration.

My overnight gear and expensive stuff is in the roll bag or tank bag which I take into a hotel room each night, however I can safely leave tools, spares, medical kit, camping gear, wet/cold weather gear, whatever, in the metal panniers overnight. If I'm camping one of the panniers is my chair, and I have a bit of aluminium that attaches to the other pannier for my table.

I keep tools, spare tubes and the like in a Kriega US-10 inside the pannier so if I want to dump the luggage and trail ride with minimum gear I just strap the Kriega to the rear rack.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”