Soft Bag Comparison: Adv Spec Magadan; Enduristan Monsoon, Kriega Overlander, Giant Loop Siskiyou

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Chris S

Re: Soft Bag Comparison: Adv Spec Magadan; Enduristan Monsoon, Kriega Overlander, Giant Loop Siskiyou

Post by Chris S »

I guess I just feel unsafe with hard luggage on the sides for off-roading, though it's all in the mind. Usd it once on Desert Riders and that was enough. Plus the perceived deformation issues when metal is crashed and shock transference to the subframe. Plastic Pelis and the like are more rounded (less nasty) and may be more robust but are heavy/volume.
Security really adds up to common sense caution (don't always practise that) and prioritising things you cannot afford to lose by keeping with (which I do).

Like you say, biggest disadvantage is leaving the bike and wandering around a market for an hour. Overnight in city with bike on the street (biggest risk, IMO), I'd bring it all in, either all of it or just the liner bags.

In fact on that ferry (I took the day run) it was the rack pack on the back that got pinched with a quick unclip of the Rokstraps. If I'd stopped and thought to add up the value of the camping gear in that bag I would have taken it upstairs... The side bags could have been ransacked but weren't touched (it's the Slov crew for sure... had a bad feeling about them). First time in 30+ years, iirc. Next time I'll be ready for them!

As to whether the AS Mags' are up to it; about to find out.
Chris S

Re: Soft Bag Comparison: Adv Spec Magadan; Enduristan Monsoon, Kriega Overlander, Giant Loop Siskiyou

Post by Chris S »

Second set of Magbags resting in Morocco. Great bit of kit.

More pix.
Or version with commentary.

Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

I wasn't sure what to get in the way of panniers - prefer the idea of soft panniers but then there's the security issue! In the end I went for some Moskow Moto soft panniers that have a unique mounting system to the pannier rails which means they can be removed in seconds.

Great for convienence - not so great for security. To make them secure I use PacSafe 55l secure steel mesh bags - originally designed for securing rucksacks etc. I put it over the panier and pull the drawstring tight around the pannier rail securing the panier to the bike and making access to the pannier very difficult. Not 100% secure but will deter the casual thief - anyone who really wants it will still take it!

If anyone is in the slightest bit interested I'll get some photos at the weekend as reading through what I've just typed above sounds like nonsence :blink:
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

In my never ending quest for soft solutions, trying out a used pair of Orliebs: Saddlebags one side, Speedbag the other side. Next stop Death Valley - current temp 32°C.

P1010680.jpg
P1010680.jpg (157.67 KiB) Viewed 3103 times
SIF

Post by SIF »

Look like they will last the trip. Interesting thread, wondered why no mention of The Altrider Hemisphere or Giant Loop, any thoughts on them ?

Chris your web link has a typo....
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

SIF, I only reviewed what at the time I had actually used or seen which included a GL.
Don't know Altrider Hemisphere but since then, Mosco Moto have come on the scene and I believe Kriega are working on something new. A few more listed in AMH7.

Fixed the old url, thanks.
BlueUK

Post by BlueUK »

I used an Ortlieb bag and would use a cable lock around the middle pulled tightly so that the ends were bigger than the middle in order that it can't be slid out, my bag and bike is usually filthy so most people stay away from it, even I don't want to have to go in the bag. Packsafe are OK but its still easy enough to just open the bag and take what you want.
In poorer countries if in a group it is worth offering a local some money upon your return if the bikes are untouched.
Something I have learnt over the years is to travel as cheap in order to not care if my gear gets stolen, my trail camping gear amounts to a few hundred max, its not the best but if the weather is that bad that I am going to have a bad night sleep or wake up feeling like I have pee'd the bed, I simply get a hotel or a locals bed. Camping is crap if its raining. My clothing, which I take little of, isn't the best although my riding gear tends to be worth far more but I only take what I am wearing and wash it where possible.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”