Tire repair CO2 cylinders...

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
ajwright64

Tire repair CO2 cylinders...

Post by ajwright64 »

Has anyone ever used the CO2 cylinders that come with a new BMW as part of the repair kit? I'm interested to know how well they work.

Thanks...
redbikejohn

Re: Tire repair CO2 cylinders...

Post by redbikejohn »

i use them on the mtb and also carry some on the tenere. one of the small cans will inflate a tyre semi hard. good if you are in a hurry and a good backup if your pump fails.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Phil

Post by Phil »

i carry them when mountain biking, also have some under seat on my Fazer...never actually used them though. :dry:

You can get small hand pumps that you can put C02 cannisters in them as well, so the pump becomes a regulater. Been meaning to buy one for ages, would be handy to carry on the Ten.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Phil wrote:You can get small hand pumps that you can put C02 cannisters in them as well, so the pump becomes a regulater. Been meaning to buy one for ages, would be handy to carry on the Ten.
I've got one of these. It would take some time to pump up a motorbike tyre but still useful if you run out of CO2. It takes about 2 cylinders (*16g) to pump up a rear tyre to road pressures. Some of the adapters have a tap on them so that you can stop filling the tyre and save the rest of the cylinder for use later - never found one that works so it's best to carry a few spares.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

I have been using Air Chucks for about six years.... Excellent Recommended....

Boxes of cylinders cheap on e-bay.... About 90p each if you buy in bulk.....

Each 16g cylinder puts about 6psi into a rear Trials Tyre.... :) :)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... source=ppc
Dysan

Post by Dysan »

Yep, I use them, beats carrying a compressor. Normally I carry a small bike pump just for finding holes in the tube to avoid wasting a cylinder.
exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

See, I'm totally the opposite and think they are shite. OK, they will pump your tyre up after a puncture, but getting the bead to seal again is another matter. I've got a small £5.99 compressor. Stripped all the plastic off and your left with just the "Working parts"
this all fits into a little pouch not much bigger than a packet of cigarettes. It takes about 10 minutes of pumping for the tyre to "pop" back on the rim.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Don't think we are really talking about using Co2 16 gm cylinders to "Pop" a tyre back on the rim..

It actually took 8 16g cylinders for that once...

However for Rims that don't have a bead retainer type inner then you don't really have to pop them back...

And 10 minutes compared to 5 seconds is very useful in many situations...

3 x 10 minutes = half an hour.... 3 x 5 seconds = 15 seconds... :) :)

I once used 9 cylinders on a front tube puncture after the can of repair selant did not deploy correctly... One every 4 miles and that got me from the middle of the Yorkshire moors to base and completed the Trial as well..... :)

Could not have done that any other way, cept repairing or putting another tupbe in.
Which I did not have or the levers or stand.... And in which case had I done so would probably been overtaken by the back marker...

If I had used a manual or electric pump, the tyre would have probably gone down faster than the air going in... :)

Me mates (In the Team) even use me kit to put air (Co2) in the tyres after a puncture, so as to get under way quicker...

Fer tubeless, a bunch of those and a plug repair kit are an even better option...

All depends where you are and what you are doing....

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.....

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”