Shoei Neotec

Does my ass look big in these?
TDMTAM

Shoei Neotec

Post by TDMTAM »

I was looking at replacing my trusted Shoei Multitec, and with it being my 40th back at Christmas my lovely wife said I could buy a new helmet.
My Initial choice was to replace it with another Multitec, but I liked to idea of the drop down sun visor. So I had a look at the HJC SymaxII and the Schuberth C3.
I really wanted to like the Schuberth but the fit was just not quite right. The HJC was a good choice for the money. But then I seen that Shoei were bringing out New version of the Multitec, so I desided to hold off until it's release.
After reading and watching a few of the online reports on the Neotec I deside to go ahead a purchase it. I now £425 is a lot of money for a helmet, but I have always liked to buy the best helmet I could afford at the time, and I have liked the fit and quality of the Shoei's for a while now. I also took full advantage of it being my 40th birthday present!

Having now used my new Shoei Neotec on the commute to work for a few days now, and I would have to say the Neotec is defiantly quieter, plush and more comfortable than my Multitec.
The Neotec fits pretty much like the Multitec, but a little bit tighter around the cheek area, the new cheek pads are a more sculpted shape.I have felt no pressure points or discomfort were my glasses pass through. There is slightly more room in the chin area in comparison to the Multitec and the Schuberth C3 I tried on.

I have not had any issues with fogging of the visors, but I did have the Pinlock installed from the beginning. The drop down sun visor works well, sits low enough to give almost full coverage and does not interfere with my specs or hit my nose, I was also not aware of any distortion on the sun visor. The visor has positive indents that allow the visor to be held open at the various stages the smallest setting equals approx. 22m of an opening. There is also a new positive lock for closing the visor over completely that works better that the old Shoei lock on the visor side pod. One thing I did notice was if you close the visor down but did not push it to the lock position the visor sits about 1-2mm off which allow just a trickle of extra ventilation on to the visor.
The ventilation on the Neotec with all the vents open is probable the best ventilation I have felt on a helmet. This helmet will be good for the summer when the temps get higher as it really does vent well with all vents open.

All good new so far, however I seem to be getting the constant draft on the top of my head, and as it was 8°C today in sunny Scotland, that is a cold draft. No combinations of vents open or closed seem to eliminate it, although shutting all vents including the chin bar vent seem to reduce it slightly. One thing I did find with the chin bar vent is I seem to keep inadvertently closing it, probably due to it’s proximity to the flip mechanism lock, I thing this could have done with a more positive lock to hold it either open or closed.

Regarding the constant ventilation on to the top of my head, I have been in contact with the company who I bought my Neotec who have been in touch with Shoei ,and told me " the helmet is designed to give a constant air flow even when the vents are shut. This is a design feature rather than a flaw as there has been complaints in the past that their helmets are too air tight and stuffy."

I think they may need to look at this issue and possible do something like the Schuberth C3 with the 2 flaps of material to prevent drafts in winter from their top vent. (note. the reason I did not go with the C3 was the fit across the forehead)

To date I have found a solution by using my Windstopper cycling beanie, so I will just use this on the colder days.

The company I bought the helmet from has offered to take it back for a full refund, but I really like the rest of this helmet, so will more than likely keep it.

I don't know if I can mention the company, on this forum, I bought my Neotec from but there service and communication have been great with the added bonus of a 10% discount (can set a discount for this forum) were no one else was offering any discount. I also got a few freebies , an Oxford padded/lined helmet bag, pack of 3 Oxford neck tube things, a V sponge. Delivery was quick.
TAM
Treadtrader

Re: Shoei Neotec

Post by Treadtrader »

TDMTAM wrote:
I don't know if I can mention the company I bought my Neotec from but there service and communication have been great with the added bonus of a 10% discount (can set a discount for this forum) were no one else was offering any discount. I also got a few freebies , an Oxfore padded/lined helmet bag, pack of 3 Oxford neck tube things, a V sponge. Delivery was quick.
TAM
Thanks for the review mate.

Always happy to hear of a company that gives good service, post their name up. ;)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
TDMTAM

Post by TDMTAM »

The company was http://www.justhelmets.co.uk
They offer a voucher scheme for Motorcycle clubs and forums that gives 10% off. You need to email them to set it up.
TAM
garyr

Post by garyr »

Great helmet review, I was wondering about the sun visor while wearing specs and the ventilation around the top of the napper.
Cheers
who dares, bins
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

Crikey I didn't know that company existed and they are just about 3 miles from the house!

I will be sure to visit as it's getting on for new helmet time.

Thanks for the review!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

I considered the Neotec, when looking to replace my elderly C3, but was put off by the fact that it isn't ECE 22-05 P/J approved (this means helmet is legal to be used with chin guard open or removed.

Which was a shame :( , so I went for a Nolan N103 (which turned out to be a fair bit cheaper as well) :)
ince.ste

Post by ince.ste »

"Regarding the constant ventilation on to the top of my head, I have been in contact with the company who I bought my Neotec who have been in touch with Shoei ,and told me " the helmet is designed to give a constant air flow even when the vents are shut. This is a design feature rather than a flaw as there has been complaints in the past that their helmets are too air tight and stuffy."

Im wondering if the air s permanently blowing inside the helmet with the top vent closed, what abt the water when you ride the bike under the rain ? anybody has experience? i bought this helmet and not very abt the strong wind on top of the head especially when its abt 5/6 degrees
TDMTAM

Post by TDMTAM »

I had the top vent constantly 'letting by' my Neotec was sent back to Federax where a new top vent was put on and checked ( helmet was bought from Helmet City)
the only rain I seem to get inside the Neotec appears to come from the chin vent, it has to be heavy rain and usually motorway speeds.
Fun Lovin Criminal

Post by Fun Lovin Criminal »

Mine is too draughty to wear in extremely cold weather but I've never had a problem with water getting in.
andyb43

Post by andyb43 »

Mate just having mine updated by the dealer, the early neotec top vent remains open a little bit all the time but there is a seal update that you can get free it replaces the seal on the top making it close totally so no more constant cold air in winter.

Return to “CLOTHING”