Time for some new waterproofs

Does my ass look big in these?
Tonibe63

Time for some new waterproofs

Post by Tonibe63 »

We've not done much purely bike touring for about 4 years now preferring to choose to ride smaller bikes when the weather doesn't forecast rain. Last week was a similar type of holiday only this time (on the last day) rain was forecast so we took our old waterproofs 'just incase'. After half an hour we put on the oversuits which remined dry inside for all of 5 minutes which coincided with Noah overtaking us in the outside lane. Both of us remained dry on the top half but bottoms were absolutely soaking due to the pooling effect of water coming off the tank and also running straight down the front.
So in an effort to get back into the purely bike touring we both need better rain oversuits. Any advice much appreciated, 2 piece? 1 piece? doesn't matter aslong as they are waterproof enough to do consecutive days without putting wet gear back on.

Cheers, Tony.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Time for some new waterproofs

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Gear 4 were knocking these out (jacket and trousers) for half price a couple of years ago

https://ktmtwins.com/products/ktm-tourrain-wp-jacket

Best motorcycle clothing I've ever had.

Have ridden from Coventry to Cornwall in 100% rain and not a drop got in.

Not too hot, not too cold.

I'd suggest a cheapy one-piece suit you can quickly put over the top to stop water puddling if you are really keen.

All the best

Richard
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

In all honesty it's just luck whether the ones you choose will last a month or years, I've had expensive ones leak in a few weeks and cheap overtrousers last years. These days I buy cheap commuter overtrousers with full length zips so I can get them on and off with my boots on, If I have to replace them every year I'll live with that.
I do have a pair of Klim trousers I picked up when I felt flush a couple of years ago but they seep a little when it's torrential rain (usually near the top of a mountain) and I'll just live with that.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The best gear I bought when offroading was the army surplus Goretex 2 piece but eventually the trousers got ripped to pieces, that might be an option if they do non combat colours or failing that some 'oilskins' we used when sailing in the last Century (they're not fashionable and smell of plastic but do the job), lol. Part of the problem was that we were wearing Kevlar jeans but if the waterproofs were upto the job or we were wearing our textile gear then it wouldn't have been an issue.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “CLOTHING”