reproofing

Does my ass look big in these?
blue bus

reproofing

Post by blue bus »

hello boys an girls had a look but cannot find answer ,so how do you treat army gortex jacket an leggings spray or wash what do you use big thank you blue bus
Hugh

Re: reproofing

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Either method should work, I choose to use Nikwax products to wash and then reproof my walking and riding gear.

I think that the idea behind waterproofing is that the material is supposed to breathe from the inside out so a clean outer shell should improve that situation and prevent a build up of moisture from condensation on the inside.

I still get damp though :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

This is not a joke.

If you use a re-proofing spray, use it outside and do not inhale any of the spray.

A guy used to post on here who had inhaled some proofing spray: it stopped his lungs from working. I think he died in the end.

So, I use wash-in Nicwax.
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

thank you for the replies , good of you
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

... and today was a good day in the life of...
simonw

Post by simonw »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:28 am This is not a joke.

If you use a re-proofing spray, use it outside and do not inhale any of the spray.

A guy used to post on here who had inhaled some proofing spray: it stopped his lungs from working. I think he died in the end.

So, I use wash-in Nicwax.
This is the thread I think: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20004&p=262612&hilit=oven#p262612
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Army gortex is okay for slow speed trail riding or walking... If used on daily commute the hydroscopic effect of water and air pressure force water through gortex... The motorbike clothing version is different.....
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

byewayrider wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:42 pm Army gortex is okay for slow speed trail riding or walking... If used on daily commute the hydroscopic effect of water and air pressure force water through gortex... The motorbike clothing version is different.....
Hydroscopic?

Anyway, all Goretex and other breathable membranes are simply a weave with small enough gaps for water vapour to pass through, but not water droplets.

Muck and salt clog the gaps on the outside of a fabric (worse with laminated as the vapour cannot get past at all) and bad enough with liners as the vapour can only get into the cavity before condensing. Couple that with the oils and salt from sweat clogging the membrane from the inside and your waterproofs will no longer be breathable after a short time.

Washing the jacket should remove the muck, salt and oils and the restorer adds a water repellence to the surface (fabric thread) so it doesn't get saturated and fail again by getting clogged. As above the pressure of air and rainwater from motorcycling can clog the gaps in the material pretty quickly so the bigger the fairing and screen the better (in winter I have one called Insignia).
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

There is army goretex---and army goretex. The Dutch army stuff is better than the Brit stuff--heavier duty--and the best stuff is the RN quality in blue--that works well on a bike--all available on fleabay for not a lot--and thats the point IMO--in XXL it flaps about a bit and sheds water rather than trying to be in a fashion show with a full tailored suit. I've never been a fan of goretex liners as the jacket gets soaked and takes ages to dry--and the evaporation effect really does chill you down. I refresh my Goretex with a low temp wash and then a session in a tumble drier on low heat (don't take my word for it--do your own research). When dealing with stuff thats only about 30 quid you can afford to replace it if something goes wrong or it gets ripped, or simply dies of old age. The other disadvantage is that you are less visible!

Return to “CLOTHING”