Waterproof jacket

Does my ass look big in these?
qcnr

Waterproof jacket

Post by qcnr »

What are your experiences?
I use a layering system now, where I have a mid-layer full of armour and abrasion resistance.
I can then wear wool or t-shirt under and when really cold a fleece or other insulating layer
on top. To stay dry I use a normal hiking type lightweight 'gore-tex' jacket.

Recently thought of upgrading to a newer jacket and looked at MC specific brands like AS and MoskoMoto
line of jackets. These seem good, then there is the price :shock: of them.
Are they really that much better?
My North Face jacket has managed to keep me dry through the worst all day Norwegian rain storms.
So what are the advantages in spending nearly 3 times what a replacement NF jacket would cost? :?
dibbs

Re: Waterproof jacket

Post by dibbs »

Funny, ive been thinking the very same recently, as i use a forcefield armoured top with fleece over the top if cold then a army gortex jacket, and i too also stay warm and dry so dont see the need to pay fortunes for a jacket that will get ripped to shreds by brambles etc, however i would like to look cool so have been looking at more specific bike jackets in the vein hope that they might make me a better rider lol...
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Yes, imagine what all those AS logo's will do for your abilities. Move over Chris Birch :lol: :lol:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Motorcyclists get ripped off with some of the clobber on offer
£2000 for a Rukka suit?
I would expect a Chinese bike chucked in as well
Never paid more than £400 for a bike jacket, even new
I keep an eye on the classifieds for nearly new or new but unworn clobber - much is half price or less

Layering?
I would stick with it, base armour is better anyhow
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I've got the admittedly expensive AS single track waterproof. It's good, fits well over the Linesman jacket or a forcefield armoured vest. Waterproof, comfortable, packs away ok, well vented for a waterproof. Happy with it, even if my wallet is a lot lighter.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

qcnr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:29 am Yes, imagine what all those AS logo's will do for your abilities. Move over Chris Birch :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Advantages of MC specific clothing is usually heavy padding (armour) in the areas most likely to injured in case of accident. How much that is worth to you is for you to decide.
When I see those 1000 bucks or more sets of MC clothes I shudder and head in the other direction. My last MC clothing purchase was 3 year old jacket, looking like new, for 50 bucks. Waterproof, removable inner layer and armour.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I generally go for the layered approach, with an ex army or police gortex layer on top, a Hein Gericke Tuareg jacket underneath then various layers dependent on weather. Having said that for commuting I invested in some second hand Rukka Laminated gear a few years ago. For convenience, especially in the winter it is excellent, you just have one layer to take off and you have your work wear underneath. The Rukka jacket I have got has just about had it now and I am struggling to find a replacement. One of the things I love about it is the very high collar, which zips on and off. Presumably owners of other bike jackets don’t get cold necks on the winter
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I use a layered system, final layer is ex-army Goretex, firstly because it's as waterproof as my £250 Rab walking jacket (doh!!) and secondly, I don't care if it gets ripped/scuffed by brambles.

I like AS stuff (have the Linesman jacket) but can't justify their prices for a waterproof when the surplus one does the job just as well....

D
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I do have a Rukka jacket but I always wear a waterproof over the top, it also means I've got something to keep me dry off the bike. I don't buy bike specific waterproofs though, just need to make sure any hood (if it has one) either folds away properly or can be removed, I discovered the excitement of a deployed parachute in high winds on the M1, strangulation can be very distracting :?
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything

Return to “CLOTHING”