Recommendations for really hot weather bike gear.

Does my ass look big in these?
Jak*

Recommendations for really hot weather bike gear.

Post by Jak* »

Having gone out for a bumble in the Peaks today and found my old HG Tuareg jacket and Hood jeans just about wearable, what do people wear when it is really hot? Assuming that we are not back in lockdown by the. I am aiming to get the ferry to Spain in August then ride down to Portugal and then to Northern Italy. I am thinking it might be a tad warmer than today. Although most will be roads I will be doing a few dirt tracks in Portugal. Looking for jacket and trousers any advice? Cheap or secondhand is good and I am certainly not bothered by big brand names
Thanks
Teflon Jnr

Re: Recommendations for really hot weather bike gear.

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I have rev it sand 2 gear as well as hein gericke and in warm weather the rev it gear wins hand down as I think the zip in liners waterproof and thermal removed gives amazing ventilation jacket and pants.i rode around germany,Luxembourg and France 2 years ago where the temp was in excess of 38 degrees and yes it was hot sat in traffic but not at all uncomfortable and once moving it was great. That's just my opinion
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Its a trick............get an Axe
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I used to have a big 'all in one' jacket. But on one trip, taking ze Autobahn to catch a ferry, I got stuck in a horrible traffic jam.
Not being able to filter, all I could do was sit and sweat, but eventually started bimbling down the hard shoulder.
Whilst moving I was ok. I now have a KNOX jacket that is lightweight, fully armoured and abrasion resistant, as well as being
fully ventilated. If it's cold I layer up and wear a lightweight goretex jacket over. When warm I just wear a t-shirt under.
Much better :D
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Yeah, the Knox Urbane jacket is good. Used to wear an earlier version on sportsbikes on hot days. The airflow when you're moving is great. Too cold if you start early in the morning though, but a fleece sorts that out.

Weird thing is that these jackets always seem to come in black. One of the easiest ways to get rid of some heat is not to absorb it in the first place, so they should be available in white really.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

As has been said Jak, you need 2 dedicated jackets, One for when it's hot - mesh jacket or shirt option & the rest of the year.

One thing to note, any time at decent speed & you can get chilly, I always carry a lightweight puffa & waterproof jacket (if they fold bigger than a beer can they're overkill). They can make the early morning / late afternoon bearable.

When commuting in London, I wear the mesh from about April - September & then swap over
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

daveuprite wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:58 am
Weird thing is that these jackets always seem to come in black. One of the easiest ways to get rid of some heat is not to absorb it in the first place, so they should be available in white really.
Interestingly it's not quite as straightforward as that though most of us may feel lighter colours are cooler the darker fabrics though they absorb heat actually radiate it back out better than lighter colours. The classic example is the Bedouin black robes. Lighter colours may reflect more but they also reflect back one's own body heat.
A few years back the Sky cycling team changed their kit to a black design on these principles.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/scien ... eather.htm
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Nico-D wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:11 am
daveuprite wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:58 am
Interestingly it's not quite as straightforward as that though most of us may feel lighter colours are cooler the darker fabrics though they absorb heat actually radiate it back out better than lighter colours. The classic example is the Bedouin black robes. Lighter colours may reflect more but they also reflect back one's own body heat.
A few years back the Sky cycling team changed their kit to a black design on these principles.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/scien ... eather.htm
Liking that Nick. It's always good to have one's preconceptions upset. So it doesn't really make much difference. Perhaps the point is really whether the wearer is exerting energy and generating heat themselves, or if more heat is arriving at them from outside...

This is clearly, as my ex colleague boffins at Culham Science Park would have said, "an area that is just crying out for further research".

Looking forward to seeing the England cricket team in black ninja outfits.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

daveuprite wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:21 am Liking that Nick. It's always good to have one's preconceptions upset. So it doesn't really make much difference. Perhaps the point is really whether the wearer is exerting energy and generating heat themselves, or if more heat is arriving at them from outside...

This is clearly, as my ex colleague boffins at Culham Science Park would have said, "an area that is just crying out for further research".

Looking forward to seeing the England cricket team in black ninja outfits.
I've seen this type of solar reflecting clothing before, maybe Held: http://www.ips-innovations.com/solar_re ... othing.htm

Many years ago I worked at the JET at Culham.
markoh

Post by markoh »

Rev'it Tornado, been using jacket and trousers for many years.
With the liner, they are good for three seasons.

Return to โ€œCLOTHINGโ€