Adventure boot review

Does my ass look big in these?
Flipflop

Adventure boot review

Post by Flipflop »

I like to buy quality riding apparel, look after it and keep it for many years.
With this in mind I was reading the boot review in the latest edition of ABR magazine. I have a pair of Sidi Adv and after 3 years the left boot is no longer waterproof and they need re-soling which is very expensive. I believe the Rev’its are non re-soleable which for a £500 pair of boots is not acceptable to me. Are the Toucans re-soleable? Why no mention of Forma Terra Evo boots which, on paper at least, look to compare well with the Sidis and Alpinestars but at a better price point.

I’m very tempted by a pair or Daytona trans open GTX as they look to me like a pair of boots for life - similar to Altberg’s but much better protection. My only reservation is zips and mud but if well cared for I suspect they’ll be a good investment.
Opinions?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Adventure boot review

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Pretty much all boots are now crap because pretty much all boots are now made in China.

When this happened, I noticed the quality going down, but, strangely, the price stayed up.

Current events in China may lead to certain companies questioning the wisdom of their decisions to off-shore production...but who knows.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

As stated I usually like to buy quality and look after stuff so it lasts. I have got a pair of Forma Adv boots which were cheap - so far they’ve been really good and if they last 3 years then I’m happy with that due to the price. However they don’t offer the protection I would like.
Daytona’s say made in Germany.
I wish Altberg produced an Adventure boot - although their boots do offer decent protection.
My wife was looking at BMW Gravel Evo boots but for £60 more she could get a pair of Daytona T.O which will last the rest of her riding life - me too.

Must say I was a bit disappointed with the boot review in the magazine. I think a long term test review for kit would be better - much like a long term bike review. Perhaps companies would be reluctant to give products for such scrutiny.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I have a pair of the Forma Terra boots, unfortunately they are no longer waterproof.
Only lasted 2years apart from that the boots are absolutely fine and still look good.
Thankfully I have a pair of sealskinz socks, but wearing them in the summer 🤢🤢🤢

Would not buy them again,
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i guess i will be lowering the tone somwhat ..but ive got sidis and had tcx and forma ..... for me these are the best winter boots ive ever had ..ive three pairs of em one oversize for extra socks ....very sturdy great soles ....was wading a river in em just yesterday ..1000 percent waterproof blah blah
but seriusly for the money they are ace with decent protection aroiund the foot and ankle steel caps and very strong around the feet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOLLY-LEATHE ... qkMVeGaCZg
Last edited by minkyhead on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

perhaps us here as a community can vote with our feet, we must all being using boots and there are not that many out there. So my thoughts, some things you can buy cheap and they can serve a purpose to a degree, boots are not one of those, you can risk second hand and get lucky or often not. In the past for road/ light trails including long trips I have used the now defunct Diadora Stone (trial) range held together very well, very comfortable, limited protection waterproofing- never really meant to be. For the same purpose I have now moved to Sidi Adventure the originals I beleive, not used them heavily, more protection, slightly less comfortable but newer and acceptable, holding together so far and waterproof-early days. For a road based spin now I use the obsolete TCX Infinity, used a lot 100% waterproof with little maintenance, rusty metalwork, no failures, they tick all the box's as basic road boot. MX boots tried a fair few mainly from budget/mid end end of the mainstream AXO,Wulf. Alpine Stars, HG, etc, The higher spec ones did not seem to last much better than the ones from the bottom of the range but were technically better. Bitten the bullet this time went to the top end? and bought crossfire's again not used enough to say much little unsure of the design for putting on but fine when they are. There is a trend there but I am not brand loyal. Just my thoughts may help someone. Below pics I was wearing MX boots but they were sub standard and it were'nt a crash. If your putting your feet in harms way protection needs to come first. Boots are Important kit. My thoughts.
broken leg 2.JPG
broken leg 2.JPG (74.05 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
broken leg 2.JPG
broken leg 2.JPG
Attachments
broken leg 5.JPG
broken leg 5.JPG (45.1 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
broken leg 3.JPG
broken leg 3.JPG (56.25 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

id say theres noi magic wand ...for instance i dont think theres any boot better than the fire boot for crucs injury around the foot ....it may be true that twist injury to the ankles are better on the off road style boots but then it just transfers it to the knees ..then theres the practical issue of freezing feet effecting concentration and feel and it can ...
no easy answer

tbo what we all need now and again is a bit of dumb luck

how the heck did you manage to break both ....that looks painful
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I have a set of boots similar to these http://www.gaerne.com/boots/en/articolo ... 001/black/
Can't fault them. Had them for 8 years now and over 50.000km Still warm, still waterproof and still comfy.
Soles are of course wearing, but I think I can justify a new pair soon.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

The Terras sound like the Sidis then - I don’t want to throw away an expensive pair of boots after 2/3 years and I don’t like sealskins.
For many years I wore Altberg Hogg all weather but wanted a pair of boots with clips for speed. I average 12K miles a year and my Hoggs are still in perfect condition and waterproof - I still wear them for walking and occasional bike rides. My wife has had a pair of Altberg Clubmans For over 20 years, they are the only motorcycle boots she has ever had and she averages 6K miles a year - they are in excellent condition, 100% waterproof but they have had a refurb.
I like clip style boots for their looks and speed of putting on / taking off.

Despite my reservations about zips I will look at the Daytona’s next time.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

qcnr wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:06 pm I have a set of boots similar to these http://www.gaerne.com/boots/en/articolo ... 001/black/
Can't fault them. Had them for 8 years now and over 50.000km Still warm, still waterproof and still comfy.
Soles are of course wearing, but I think I can justify a new pair soon.
Just seen this post. I believe that Gaerne are very popular in the USA and it says made in Italy. I’ve never looked closely at Gaerne
before, maybe I should - thanks

Return to “CLOTHING”