Sealskinz Heated Waterproof Gloves.

Does my ass look big in these?
Hugh

Sealskinz Heated Waterproof Gloves.

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Spoke with one of the Observers at the weekend who was wearing a brand new pair of these gloves. They were very pleased with the them to fight off the damp and cold but they had not worn them yet whilst motorcycling.

Do any of you folks have experience of these, or similar, gloves as although relatively expensive perhaps they might help elevate my problems with my clutch hand?

Part of the problem is that when riding I can not wear gloves that are too bulky, I normally wear trials gloves. My heated grips do help and my new fangled homemade deflectors made a slight benefit on Saturday. I simply can not ride with muff type gloves as they seem to always be catching the bar end protectors. I particularly liked the fact of the batteries being self contained so no wires to get caught up on.

TTFN

Hugh.
Cone

Re: Sealskinz Heated Waterproof Gloves.

Post by Cone »

Hugh I have the same problem get cramps in my fingers. Would love a pit of thin warm gloves especially as my heated grip controller has packed up
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I had a pair sealskin gloves many years ago (15 years) which lasted about 2 years of greenlaning and rallies. They were very good at keeping your hands/fingers dry which helped keep some cold at bay but they were not that good for warmth generally.
I now prefer the yellow leather rigger type gloves with the fleece lining, initially I thought they would be bulky but they soon mould to the shape of your hand. They are very warm, good windblast protection and quite waterproof.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Just bought some Barkbusters Blizzard hand guards. Will let you know how they perform after my journey to the NEC.
People I have met who have fitted them have nothing but praise.

I had Gerbing heated gloves on my previous bike (FJR1300} when I commuted all year round, they were perfect.
I haven’t used them on my current bike (CCM GP450} partly because of getting a power connection I was comfortable with. On the FJR I fitted a DIN plug in the fairing near my right knee so easy to connect to the cable that exited from the bottom of my jacket. The CCM has a DIN socket on the dash and the “fairing” near my right knee is part of the fuel tank.

I have never found heated grips much good. In the cold yours palms are warm but the outside of your hands still get cold. I would sometimes use heated grips when rain made my hands cold, however this doesn’t go well with Goretex gloves (reverses the vapour flow).

According to people I have spoken to the Barkbusters and heat grips are the best combination, some using this combination with summer gloves all year round.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Hi Hugh,
I've been using a pair of Gerbing heated gloves for a couple of winters. However, I've only used them on my road bike as the heated grips on my CCM are excellent. I'm really pleased with the gloves but the wires can be a bit of a pain.
1> You need to route the wires through your jacket liner, not a big issue but they sometimes shift around a bit.
2> The wire connection to the bike. This is an easy plug but could get to be an issue on a route with lots of gates.
However, they do make a battery pack so I suppose that would make it easier from that point of view. The long sleeved jackets also come with plugs in the sleeves which connect directly to the plugs.
They are very effective. There are 4 heat settings, I normally use 1 or 2. Sfter a while on 3 my knuckles start to get a bit too hot.
Good luck.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

As others have said Gerbing heated gloves are excellent. You can get battery packs for them as well. My first heated gloves came second hand from eBay and were actually branded Harley although I think they were made by Gerbing. I used them to commute on my Norton in the really cold (-15 on some days) winter that we had about ten years ago. The batteries lasted for my commute, about 45 min each way on the hottest setting and they were second hand when I got them. My current Gerbing are wired in, they have been fantastic and their after sales service is excellent. I also use the Bark busters winter muff things, which whilst not as warm as the traditional ones do give you much easier access to the controls.
Years ago I knew someone who fitted old plastic old cans over his bars and ran vacuum cleaner hoses up from behind the cylinder head on his MZ into them. This worked so welled that he rode to the Elephant rally and back wearing summer gloves.
Cheers Jak
Toe

Post by Toe »

Gerbing as well. Not tried any others so won't knock them!
I've got some of the bulkier ones that double as regular 'winter gloves' for me. Once the wires themselves are in place getting plugged in is super quick even with bulky gloves on. Good range of heat settings.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Thank you all for your feedback about heated gloves.

I shall have to try and find a shop selling the Gerbing to try them on for feel. It might be that they are too thick. I might try modifying my diy deflectors, which did partially work in the rain the other day.

TTFN

Hugh.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

My Gerbing gloves came from get geared in Leeds, I seem to remember they also did heated inner gloves as well. There was another bike clothing superstore next door which did a different make of heated gloves as well.
Cheers
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

I saw a bike with these on the other day https://barkbusters.net/products/bbz/
Not restrictive, like normal muffs, but more cold protection than normal bark busters. Perhaps coupled with heated grips, might do the job.

Return to “CLOTHING”