Mid layer...

Does my ass look big in these?
Hopper1

Mid layer...

Post by Hopper1 »

I'm shopping for an alternative mid layer, for under my jacket.
Recently bought the Oxford Mondial suit and although it seems very good (so far), I did feel a bit of a chill recently, across my chest in around 8*C.
I doubt this is helped by the fact that the liner doesn't actually fasten, so there's about 2" gap at the front.
I know a lot of riders don't bother with these liners, preferring there personal favourites, instead.

I was actually a bit disappointed when I removed the thermal liner, as it was so thin!...

I reckon that any quilted jacket would be a step up on the original, and as it would have a zip, it would be a bonus.
I'm currently looking at the Rab Cirrus Flex Jacket, and I'm pretty sure I'd still have enough space in the Mondial jacket to wear a gillet, too, for when it's proper cold! So, maybe a Rab Altus Gillet.

Does anyone have any experience with these products, or recommend similar?
Don't want any hoods. ;)
Hugh

Re: Mid layer...

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

If it is just a one off cold journey then try tucking a newspaper across your chest under your jacket. It really does work.

TTFN

Hugh.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

If the newspaper isn't your cup of tea I'd have thought any soft shell jacket would do. Reasonably thin, keeps any draughts out, adequate thermal protection. Or maybe just a winter jumper!

Quilted jackets rely on trapping air but they'll probably get compressed a bit too much to be effective.

I use a Klim Badlands (no thermal lining) most of the year, when it's warm I generally carry an old soft shell jacket incase it turns cold. If I set out in the cold I just wear an extra fleece top.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Jetlag Jon

Post by Jetlag Jon »

I commute year round, and have recently bought a Mondial jacket. In cold weather, over my work clothes (trousers and collared shirt), I wear a thin but very good fleece, and a down gilet, both bought from Decathlon for not much money. I also have the liner in the jacket. I haven't got cold down to zero degrees Celsius in that, and it's not bulky. Plus it doesn't break the bank. If I am out for a ride in very cold weather for fun, I wear a Merino underlayer (Aldi) a Trespass midlayer, and the Decathlon fleece and gilet. My toes and fingers (with heated grips) get cold long before my torso.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the 3 zips on the chest wont help as wind pressure will let cold air in?
A flap over the zip/s would have helped a bit?
Nylon underneath will be sweaty?
Hugh's newspaper is the most effective (mirror not the sun ;) )
I use 1 or even 2 microfleece/gillet, sometimes with a chest pad of sorts (neck warmer, towel, dirty knickers?)
and if still draughty I put on my cheap plastic rain over-jacket (toasty then!)
herman

Post by herman »

I am a big fan of Alpkit and they will have something that suits no doubt. Generally for cold conditions I have marino wool base layer, soft shell, light down , windstopper then jacket on top as I really do feel the cold being a soft southerner.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

What works for me is a gore windstopper fleece, great off bike too as smart and light...look at cycling jackets...

Also use a 500 down jacket with pertex membrane...toasty and packs small ...or look at the army snugpak sleeka jackets...very good ..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I use my Buffalo Jacket. Very warm piece of kit.
http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/ First used them when I was in the military.
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

I use something like this, although mine has less padded, softshell sleeves. Works very well.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek-100-me ... 02266.html

or this might work as well.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-mens- ... 70601.html

They can be used off bike too.
Hopper1

Post by Hopper1 »

Cheers guys, plenty of food for thought.

I appreciate that the zips are the weak point, so will bear that in mind.
Probably go for a quarter zip fleece and the gillet, to mix/ match as conditions dictate...

Return to “CLOTHING”