Oford Mondial laminated suit

Does my ass look big in these?
catcitrus

Oford Mondial laminated suit

Post by catcitrus »

Oxford have introduced this new material where their "goretex" type Dry2Dry is bonded to the outer fabric like Klim etc. They seem to be everywhere and selling well with good reviews--including the US --and at 250 quid for the jacket and 150 quid for the trousers should be really good value--and they have a 3 year warranty. Has anyone taken the plunge-reports please--I know Nathan Milward is trying the kit so he will report.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Re: Oford Mondial laminated suit

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
Tink

Post by Tink »

The messenger flyer
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

Two interesting and slightly contrasting viewpoints.
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Yes, different perspectives for sure.

All I'd say is that I bought mine with my own money. The Missenden Flyer I'm not so sure.

(equally, we all have different opinions of things)
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Thanks Nathan --just caught your update on faceache--and I get it. I have a Revitt jacket(3 layer) and have similar criticisms--although the Revitt is similar in venting etc it is very well made--and because the goretex is removable you can wash the jacket when it gets grimy--and to be honest I've also used army (German) camo over the top--and the salopette trousers with big wide and long zips that enable you to quickly get them on over your boots. I go for really large sizes which although make you look a bit more like a rough sleeper(no offence meant here) the high neck, long jacket (remember the old dispatch riders coats!!), the baggy salopettes--all flapping the rain off, keep you nice and dry and warm in the worst weather. The simple Goretex shakes off and dries quickly. In the summer the jacket(without goretex liner) works well in the heat with all the vents--its just that you have to stop and get the waterproofs on IN ADVANCE of the thunderstorm. In France last year I had several occasions to use the system and came out dry at the other end--10 minutes of sun and the goretex was ready to pack away dry again. I note your comments and will still try an XXL on--but I'm going to stick with my "method" for the moment as I can't justify the Klim or Rukka prices--I'm sure the kit is excellent, but its more than I paid for my bike! (an old, but very good , Transalp)
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Thanks Catcitrus.

Yeah I guess with the Oxford I was hoping for a jacket that would mean I wouldn't have to wear an army surplus over the top, but despite the laminate bling I feel that I still need to. So in a way I may as well have carried on wearing my old Sand 3 which to be honest is a comfier fit and more practical with bigger pockets etc.

I don't think the Oxford is a bad jacket, just not as good as it could have been, although for the money in a way it's hard to grumble.
Last edited by nathanm on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack the Builder

Post by Jack the Builder »

I bought the jacket and trousers back in November and so far I am very impressed with them. I can't afford the likes of Klim and Rukka, so after doing some research I opted for the Oxford Mondial Adventure. I have found the Oxford product far better than my Aplinestars Andes suit. I commute everyday, and have ridden in some heavy rain and I have stayed dry and warm.

my only gripe is the zip on the sleeves sometimes get caught on the vent webbing. But I think its more me than the product. :D
Jetlag Jon

Post by Jetlag Jon »

I have the jacket, and I am actually very happy with it. It's very comfortable, and I have been using it for commuting in cold weather and rain. Although it does tend to absorb some water in the outer layer in heavy rain, which tbh I didn't expect, I haven't had any leaks. It also dries out much quicker than the RST jacket I used previously. It's also much lighter than my previous jacket, which is a bonus. I have seen a number of complaints about the neck not being high enough, but I wear a Halvarrsons neck warmer which is warm, waterproof and windproof, so for me this has not been an issue, though water can run down the neck warmer into the front of your jacket in very heavy rain. It's been too cold to see how well the vents work yet.

One major design flaw in the Oxford Modial laminate trousers is evident for shorter riders (like me).Oxford have just cut a few inches off the bottom of the leg to shorten the legs, so the knee protection, which has only one position, ends up halfway down your shins. As a result I didn't get the trousers. Bolton Motorcycles, where I bought the jacket, told Oxford about this and apparently they are looking at fixing this issue in their next trousers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Hopper1

Post by Hopper1 »

Bummer!...

Bit disappointed to see this post now, as I was pretty much set on buying the Mondial suit, next week!

I have seen the TMF vlog and thought it would be good for me, as a newbie to the ADV scene, without being extortionately priced (on top of new 1250GS!)
I understand you get what you pay for, but initially I was hoping to not buy top end kit like Klim/Rukka, until I'm sure I'm riding the right type of bike, now.
Unfortunately, the links posted above now appear to have been removed...

So, back to the drawing board :-(

Return to “CLOTHING”