Helmet life in storage.

Does my ass look big in these?
Landsurfer

Helmet life in storage.

Post by Landsurfer »

I have a new HJC full face helmet, kept in its bag, in a dark cupboard, at a low temperature, 9-10 degrees C.
Lovely fit, nice graphics....
But it's been in the cupboard for 18 years !
Safe to use ?
Go Out. Take Risks. Live.
“ No chains shall sully thee, Thou soul of love and brav’ry “
OnHellas

Re: Helmet life in storage.

Post by OnHellas »

It wouldn’t be for me and I guess as you’re not sure that it probably isn’t for you.

For a few hundred pounds is it worth it?
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

How much is your head worth :lol: ....make it into a plant pot the helmet that is, some folks skimp on the wrong things....
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

personally I think helmets are vastly overrated, for the price they command

for me, if they keep the wind and rail off, and you can see out ok, and are reasonably comfortable and quiet, then a cheap one is as good as one costing 1000, which is useless if dropped just once.

I also think (if anyone cares) that compulsory helmets and seat belts are a gross infringement of human rights, even though I always wear them, even before legally compulsory.

does anyone really think that a 500£ helmet is going to save you, over a 50£ helmet at 100 mph?
tho a full face is always going to be better than an open face .. well as far as scraping the tarmac goes, anyway .. but a full face can damage more the neck?

its al la commercial con .. but very good marketing ..

as far as storage is concerned, I have noticed that many things deteriorate while sitting doing nothing .. sweat bacteria eat the linings, and chemicals leech from the petroleum products of inner shells and outer shells .. so may not be fit for purpose afte just a few years. et alone 18

but personally I woud wear it if it feels ok .. but then I am a real cheapskate
simonw

Post by simonw »

garyboy wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:05 pm...does anyone really think that a 500£ helmet is going to save you, over a 50£ helmet at 100 mph? ...
Price long ago stopped being a measure of quality or worth [for anything].
herman

Post by herman »

I probably would not trust an 18yr old helmet as I would imagine the materials and adhesives will have deteriorated by now. That opinion is not based on any scientific knowledge mind. I am with Garyboy though on vfm being missing.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

simonw wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:35 pm
garyboy wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:05 pm...does anyone really think that a 500£ helmet is going to save you, over a 50£ helmet at 100 mph? ...
Price long ago stopped being a measure of quality or worth [for anything].
A £50 helmet has to pass the same safety tests as £500 helmet.Saying that,I like Shoei's for their fit and comfort but I haven't got a problem buying a 2nd hand one you can see has hardly been worn.I don't buy a helmet is scrap if it's fell from your seat.If that's the case I don't hold much hope in it saving me sliding down the road at 60mph.I saved over £100 on my current Shoei bought from Hein Gericke because the outer box had a bash in the corner but the helmet was style wrapped in polystyrene.I don't think I'd be using an 18 year old helmet though.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I'm far from anal about these things but a second hand helmet? You must be joking.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I'd not be trusting an 18 year old helmet, a new cheaper end helmet will most likely be better but there is no science involved in my conclusion.

As for price, yes the cheaper helmets pass the same safety tests but 3 months later when the more expensive helmet (usually better quality ) is still fitting nicely and the parts are still working as intended you realise the price was worth it over the cheapest helmets. I usually buy middle of the price range and give the helmet a good look over first, also unless you know a helmet is going to fit properly you're better off buying it from a shop where you've been able to try it on for fit first.

Steve
Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer »

New BOX helmet ordered at 1500hrs Sunday afternoon ....arrived 0900hrs this morning :)
Been out for 50 miles this morning .... a lot less buffeting than the HJC .....
Nice ... :D
Go Out. Take Risks. Live.
“ No chains shall sully thee, Thou soul of love and brav’ry “

Return to “CLOTHING”