Shoei GT Air Condensation

Does my ass look big in these?
Weealwyn

Shoei GT Air Condensation

Post by Weealwyn »

Hi Folks,

More of a venting of my frustration than an appeal for advice really.

Last week I spent £380 on a new lid - after agonising over whether I really needed or just wanted an adventure style helmet - I decided on a conventional shape and quality brand to play it safe.

Previously had an Arai Quantum F (realising it was 17yrs old now) I needed a change, but I loved that Lid so much - faultless in all that time.

The GT-Air is a great fit - I liked the colours available and was pleased with the customer care at my local shop where I purchased and while it is not much quieter than previous lid, it is a different resonance which is better for my ears.

On the way home it fogged up. It was dry and about 12Degrees C. Put it down all sorts of things.
Throughout a week of commuting in surprisingly dry weather for the time of year the condensation got worse.

Went back to shop and they discovered that it was condensation on the Pinlock - not between visor and Pinlock so that wasn't at fault. They had not seen so much condensation inside a lid before - and again it was dry out and I had just left the motorway at a decent lick.

Basically after some internet research - this seems rare, but not unheard of and has no remedy or definite cause. I removed the chin guard to get more air circulation. Stopped short at cutting the beard, but reigned it in with a Buff - all to no improvement.

So now I am disappointed with a very expensive (for me) purchase that leaves quite unsafe blindspots when riding and looking at having to buy again to replace it.

If I ride with the visor open obviously there is no issue, but then that is pretty useless for most of the journeys I do - in traffic with rain and up and down from motorway speeds.

Gutted - and the wife is fed up hearing about it so needed to tell someone else ;-)

alwyn
Mike54

Re: Shoei GT Air Condensation

Post by Mike54 »

Get rid of the beard, it's restricting the airflow.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I had a similar issue with a.pinlock in my Arai tour X.
No beard all vents open I would always end up with a patch of condensation just below my left eye. It would get really foggy at slow speeds so always had to crack open the visit to help clear it.
I got that pissed off in the end I removed the pin lock and tried the fairy liquid remedy. (Other washing up liquids are available) just dab a small amount on smear it around then buff clear.
Much better than the pinlock.
Also concentrate on your breathing slow steady breath in through nose out through mouth slowly with a buff to hold breath moisture all worked for me.

I won't buy the Arai tour X again, especially not with a pinlock. Even though it was the most comfortable helmet I have ever had.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Had gt air for 5 years and no problem, don't use chin guard and leave front vent open, only problem is Sun visor misting in cold weather!
gspod

Post by gspod »

My wife loves her GT Air.
However she recently bought a new visor and pinlok, which was fitted by the shop. Half an hour down the road it started to mist up. We tried to refit it a couple of times to no avail. Eventually she went into another stockist who refitted it and it’s been fine ever since.
Good luck.
Weealwyn

Post by Weealwyn »

gspod wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:53 pm My wife loves her GT Air.
However she recently bought a new visor and pinlok, which was fitted by the shop. Half an hour down the road it started to mist up. We tried to refit it a couple of times to no avail. Eventually she went into another stockist who refitted it and it’s been fine ever since.
Good luck.
Glad she got it sorted. There is no issue with my Pinlock unfortunately. So much condensation that it overloads the Pinlock and gathers on it - not under it.
Only on the left hand side funny enough. Right is clear as day.
I have been breathing all sorts of different ways to see what effect it has - mostly just making me light headed and more frustrated with no difference to the condensation.
An expensive lesson learned as wearing it around the house first may have highlighted this before using it- meaning I could have exchanged it.
gspod

Post by gspod »

As it’s obviously a faulty product I reckon you can take it back for an exchange. Shoei are a quality product, it must have some sort of guarantee?
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

Similar problem with my Neotec1. The pinlock that came with it was never that great, and I ended up ripping it out, somewhere in Idaho. Used fairy liquid to great effect since I got back to the UK. But bought another pinlock at the NEC show last weekend. Guess what? Yup, right back to fogging up again!.

So, now I fairy liquid the pinlock! :lol:
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I've no experience of that particular helmet but it sounds like either a faulty visor or a faulty pinlock fitting. Maybe refit the pinlock or ask the supplier to fit a new visor, and then refit the pinlock. Hope that helps.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

zimtim wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:59 am I had a similar issue with a.pinlock in my Arai tour X.
No beard all vents open I would always end up with a patch of condensation just below my left eye. It would get really foggy at slow speeds so always had to crack open the visit to help clear it.
I got that pissed off in the end I removed the pin lock and tried the fairy liquid remedy. (Other washing up liquids are available) just dab a small amount on smear it around then buff clear.
Much better than the pinlock.
Also concentrate on your breathing slow steady breath in through nose out through mouth slowly with a buff to hold breath moisture all worked for me.

I won't buy the Arai tour X again, especially not with a pinlock. Even though it was the most comfortable helmet I have ever had.
I've had a similar problem with mine...you can adjust the chin vent for max intake (outside) and upwards deflection (inside), which helps but doesn't eliminate the problem.

Here's a tip that works with any helmet: at the start of the ride have the visor open as much as you dare: after a few miles, your face will be cold, and there won't be so much misting.

Return to “CLOTHING”