Intercom recommendation (surface mount only)

Does my ass look big in these?
AlanHolt

Intercom recommendation (surface mount only)

Post by AlanHolt »

We have used Cardo Scala G4 intercoms for almost 7 years, but a few months back, I bought a new helmet (which I like and want to keep) and the G4 clamp simply won't fit because of the shape of the shell. So i'm looking for an equivalent or better system which has surface mount controls. I just need B2B and bluetooth, and similar range to the G4. If there is a single surface mount helmet model which would communicate with the G4, that is also an option.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
OB1

Re: Intercom recommendation (surface mount only)

Post by OB1 »

If you can still get it, the Sena SMH5 is a great Bluetooth intercom that can be clamped or surface mounted to the helmet. I've had mine for about 7 or 8 years, on three different helmets, with no trouble whatsoever.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Mount your existing unit with double sided tape.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Sanqhar wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:57 am Mount your existing unit with double sided tape.

Tom
Theres insufficient surface area to hold it, the helmet is a Hebo Raptor Fibra.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

OB1 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 am If you can still get it, the Sena SMH5 is a great Bluetooth intercom that can be clamped or surface mounted to the helmet. I've had mine for about 7 or 8 years, on three different helmets, with no trouble whatsoever.
The SMH5 is still listed as a current model, but the range is limited to just 400m. I've been looking at the SMH10R, but the reviews are mixed.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

AlanHolt wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 pm
OB1 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 am If you can still get it, the Sena SMH5 is a great Bluetooth intercom that can be clamped or surface mounted to the helmet. I've had mine for about 7 or 8 years, on three different helmets, with no trouble whatsoever.
The SMH5 is still listed as a current model, but the range is limited to just 400m. I've been looking at the SMH10R, but the reviews are mixed.
We've had the Sena smh5 for approx 6 years and they have been great for rider to pillion but now we use them for bike 2 bike the range is now an issue and may well upgrade to the new smh20.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I use SMH5 and as you say the range isn’t great. Good for linking to the Nav V through:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Morseman

Post by Morseman »

I have an SMH10B, and have used the SMH5 in the past. One issue that I have with them is that, if you connect to another rider via Bluetooth and then have the SatNav connected as well, when the SatNav cuts in to give you route advice, or even just 'pings' due to a proximity alarm, the Blootooth connection is lost and won't automatically reconnect. You have to tap the control to get the channel to reconnect which isn't great when you are riding along.

I did ask at the Sena display at the NEC last year and their only solution was to buy a new unit... Which would cure the problem for me, but the other users would still have the same problems if they had the older units.
Boyblunder89

Post by Boyblunder89 »

Sena 20S is a great piece of kit
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

3 of us have been using the Sena SMH10 for a few years and 1 of us uses a Sena 20.

All 4 can connect. Great bits of kit. And you can surface mount on a helmet 😎.

The 10 won’t allow music or phone calls at the same time as the intercom without reconnecting but the 20 will.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “CLOTHING”