Light weight Jacket and trousers

Does my ass look big in these?
highland_ali

Light weight Jacket and trousers

Post by highland_ali »

Right I am on the hunt for some light weight gear for hot days especially when further afield.

I have been thinking about motocross body armour with a light top and trousers but not sure about the overall protection this would give in an off.

Anyone found anything good without breaking the bank balance? :unsure:
Nomad

Re:Light weight Jacket and trousers

Post by Nomad »

I did just that when I rode through India in 2004 loads of pics here, it worked okay but was uncomfrtable as the Knox armoured shirt was tight and chafed...

In 2006 for our trip to Turkey I bought a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket which is armoured and mesh but fits looser, with a zip for zipping to pants, comes with a waterproof zip insert, which I also used to good effect. I still have and use it daily here in France, probably one of my best buys for £50

As far as pants go I have several bike jeans/trousers all are uncomfortable on long trips in the heat as they ruck up so I usually wear a pair of leathers with cloth inserts for cooling, though still too warm really they are comfortable enough to ride for ever in. I have also noticed that jean style trousers tend to let the heat of the engine through to the legs which is hot, but the leathers seem to deflect this heat.
Touring France Some Useful Central Massif Touring Routes...

Ride Reports places we have been and things we have seen...
herman

Post by herman »

I wear body armour and a mx top but only when laning and off road. It is designed to be impact resistant not tarmac interface proof. Cheap and good don't seem to go together. That said if you find some let me know as the Klim stuff I like will cause a divorce soon.£1049 for their top spec rally jacket :ohmy:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I use Sinisalo enduro jacket and pants for summer use.Top quality kit and is actually waterproof.

Have'nt needed it much lately.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
herman

Post by herman »

Treadtrader wrote:
I use Sinisalo enduro jacket and pants for summer use.Top quality kit and is actually waterproof.

Have'nt needed it much lately.
Hmmm I've got the sinisalo pants and they have worn well but waterproof they are not. Depends on your definition I suppose, does sitting in water while the bike goes on without me count as proper testing? Their gloves were'nt up to much either,the linning reversing when wet and the velcro pulling off.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
dave ett

Post by dave ett »

I used Acerbis MX armour and a Jo Rocket Alter Ego jacket for riding in Morocco. Was fantastic in temps up to 36c, though does get too cold below 20. At that point you can zip in the mesh covers to block the wind completely.

If it does rain, there is a zip in waterproof liner, but I didn't take that as to me getting the jacket wet seemed daft. Instead I simply used a waterproof over-jacket which worked very well.

For trousers, I used the Klim Dakar, over EVS knee braces. Really good in those temps with their 14" thigh zips, and windproof when closed. Not waterproof by any stretch, so I used Spyke over trousers which have zips all the way from ankle to waist so you can stand and zip them round you - don't even have to lift a leg!

If you need warmth too, then I suggest a heated jacket! I didn't have one, so took a down jacket to wear over the mesh and under the raincoat - at 6c I was still bloody freezing!:blink:
scouse

Post by scouse »

Try looking at Jofama gear. http://www.jofama.se/motorcycle_wear/index.php?lang=2

Most comfortable kit I had for the Stella was my Halversonns Targa pants with bib and brace and CoolBlack helped in the heat.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Alun

Post by Alun »

Have you tried a 'softshell' jacket? They are made for the active outdoor market but I find them great on warmer days in the saddle. The more heavy duty are totally windproof and highly water resistant (as opposed to waterproof) and the lighter-weight ones are highly breathable and not so wind/water resistant. You can also get 'softshell' pants which are far more comfortable and breathable than traditional motorcycle gear.

The only downside is no protection if you take a tumble.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

I have worn Hein Gericke Air suit in hot weather for the past few years. Comfortable and good protection. Air circulates effectively when on the move. Getting a bit expensive like all HG kit. Look on e-bay
highland_ali

Post by highland_ali »

Thanks guys, most helpful ... will begin the search in ernest without breaking the bank ... hopefully!

Return to “CLOTHING”