Helmets: what to buy?

Does my ass look big in these?
OB1

Helmets: what to buy?

Post by OB1 »

It's time for a new helmet as my Shoei Hornet DS is at least 6 years old and, even though it still looks okay, I'm not sure how it would cope in a crash. I've probably ridden around 60,000+ miles wearing it, so it's time for a change.

This is where the problem starts: I paid around £300 for the DS and I really like Shoei helmets (probably had 6 or 7 over the years) but when I popped down to the bike shop the other day, I found that the replacement, Shoei Hornet ADV, is around £440... a nearly 50% increase in 6 years. I know the arguments about how much is your head worth, etc. but I am struggling to justify shelling out that kind of money for a helmet.

I have now spent a good few hours browsing various web sites for something more affordable that I might be happy with. One of the problems that I'm having is that some of the helmets are not sold in the bike shops local to me, so I can't try them on. Even helmets that I have tried on in the past, I've had bad experiences with and ended up back with Shoei - an AGV that felt fine in the shop but gave me a headache after half-an-hour of riding and an Arai that just kept falling apart.

So... do I take a punt on something like an LS2 Pioneer or an MT Synchrony DS for around a £100, try an AGV AX8 Dual Evo or an Icon Variant in the mid-£200 range or just bite the bullet and shell out over £400 on what I really want?

Your personal experiences of mid and lower-priced helmets would be appreciated. Thanks.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
qcnr

Re: Helmets: what to buy?

Post by qcnr »

Had an AX-8 Didn't like it, even though it was comfy enough. Ventilation was poor for me so even during dry summer
days I had to ride with the viso cracked open. Binned it when the peak snapped and 3 of the 4 plastic screws wouldn't
come out.
now have an LS2 with built in sun visor. Fit was tight to start with, but snug and comfy after a few days of wering it.
Light as well, good visability, good ventilation. It is noisy though and can't wear it without hearing protection.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I bought a Shoei Hornet adv from Helmet City and got 0% interest over 6 months so it didn't feel so bad spending nearly £500.00. But it is a very nice lid and well built. You get what you pay for regarding helmets i reckon.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Buy one that fits and is comfortable.

Go and try as many on as you can, your head is uniquely yours.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

dibbs wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:49 pm I bought a Shoei Hornet adv from Helmet City and got 0% interest over 6 months so it didn't feel so bad spending nearly £500.00. But it is a very nice lid and well built. You get what you pay for regarding helmets i reckon.
I saw the 0% offer on the SportsBikeShop website and it does tempt me.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
OB1

Post by OB1 »

zimtim wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:54 pm Buy one that fits and is comfortable.

Go and try as many on as you can, your head is uniquely yours.
I understand what you're saying, but as I already mentioned, the AGV was comfortable in the shop but after half-an-hour on the bike, I was getting really bad headaches. Also, trying something on in the shop won't tell you if it's noisy above 50 mph or if the lining comes loose after 6 months... these are the things that I am interested in: long term ownership issues.
justrtw.com
simonw

Post by simonw »

Web Bike World (https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle ... -by-brand/) is a great online resource for in-depth helmet reviews. It includes a guide to the shape of each helmet, so you can narrow your search to those that are similar to Shoei etc. It also includes details of noise levels.

Helmet City offered me the opportunity to leave a deposit and go for a ride with any of their helmets, to properly check fit and suitability. Not sure if they still offer this, but it seems like a good idea.

I bought a Shoei a few years ago at Motorcycle Live because it was a bargain and seemed to fit fine for the 2-3 minutes I tried it on at the show. However, when I got home it gave me a headache after wearing it around the house for 30 mins or so. Luckily I sold it to a nice chap on here (who subsequently took it round the world (or maybe just half the world, can't remember now), so it got good use.

After that I contacted Julian at Branded Biker (http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/) as he had an Aria Tour X4 and an X-Lite X-551 at good prices. Julian couldn't have been more helpful, and seemed quite knowledgeable, so after talking it through with him I drove from Kent to Lincolnshire and sat in his shop all day wearing both helmets! I eventually ended up with the X-Lite, which has proved to be a good choice and a great fit. I thought at the time that it wasn't too dissimilar to the Shoei, but I might be mis-remembering that.
BobH

Post by BobH »

+ 1 on the X-Lite X-551, on my second one. Brilliant helmet, fits well with Interphone system. Peak is stable, venting great, internal sun visor and pinlock. Great prices on the second generation ones.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

You said in your initial post "or just bite the bullet and shell out over £400 on what I really want?"
I think that you've answered your own question right there. I'd always be looking to spend less but it's not me buying it :D If you don't you'll always be thinking that perhaps you should have spent the extra.
Not all those wandering are lost
cliffy323

Post by cliffy323 »

J&S motorcycles have Shoei Hornet adv from £369 .

Return to “CLOTHING”