Helmets: what to buy?

Does my ass look big in these?
garyboy

Re: Helmets: what to buy?

Post by garyboy »

like wotsit sed ... buy the one you really want!.

I think the most I ever paid for a 'elmet was £175? .. but I have a few that cost £50 and really are just as good.
I think the argument `'ow much is u 'ed' worth is just a marketing ploy.
if you or I got a very fast head-on bump, which helmet would be the best? a cheapy or a £1000 one?
answer? ... neither .. we would be `'ad it`.
look at the shape, for a start. big hole in the front to look through? ... nil protection.
small chin bit, fixed or hinged .. very little real protection, except in a low-speed spill, and transferes the forces to the neck.
even if the helmet saves us from a bad 'un .. the neck will get it.

the only real protection from a helmet is for low speeds, the wind rain snow, noise etc.
.. so its probably best imho, to buy a helmet you are happy with and protects from noise, internal draughts, sun, etc.. not too heavy, good fit, etc ..

the rest is imaginary ... just in our heads, so to speak :D
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Shell out and get the Hornet. If you don’t you’ll just end up getting it later down the line when your other option starts to annoy you.

Also keep an eye out for trade ins. A dealer over here was running a deal where if you traded in any lid you got £80 off a new one.

I opted for an Arai X4 and the £80 discount made it cheaper than anywhere online and the thing I traded in was with absolutely nothing. The lids that were traded in were just binned.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I bought the Tour X4 in Vision Grey. Whilst the helmet is good the service from Arai and their support centres has been crap. I broke a vent in August and have been unable to get a replacement since despite numerous phone calls and trips to dealers and Arai support vans. It's been a complete farce and not one I'll be repeating so I'll buy any helmet other than Arai in the future.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

After a couple of sleepless nights (yes, it has affected me that much!) I've decided to follow some advice offered and go for what I know and want: the Shoei Hornet ADV. I had a read of the reviews that Simon posted and it convinced me that, as others have said, I would only regret not buying the Shoei.

One thing that I prefer to do, especially with motorcycle clothing, etc. is to buy from my local dealer rather than online. If they can supply the product, then I would rather keep them in business than a company that I have only heard about online: I have a good relationship with Orwell Motorcycles in Ipswich and they reward loyalty by giving a bit of discount to regular customers. I will have to order the helmet in as they don't keep the Hornet ADV in stock but they do provide a 12-month interest free finance offer, similar to some online vendors, so this will ease the burden.

It was great to hear some of your comments about your own experiences with helmets from the cheaper end of the market but, as my dealer said, "there's a reason why they are only £100". I suppose that can be turned around to say "there's a reason why the Shoei is £440".

It'll be interesting to compare the ADV with the DS as, from what I've read, there are quite a few improvements.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
GB

Post by GB »

Hello mate, Ive been an Arai user for as long as I can remember, my Tour X was coming up to seven years old and I was thinking just get another tourX then I picked up a Klim Krios at Sportsbike shop and the weight of it or lack of it amazed me, I never thought I would find anything as comfy as the Arai but the Klim is as good if not better, plus its quieter and cheaper than an arai,but if you have a Shoei head it may not fit but I would try one at least mate.
Finally back on a GS :D
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

I'm an AGV fan, my Stealth SV has been brilliant for 5 years and it needs replacing now and I have to agree about the Klim, I tried one in M&P and I have to say it is so light and it fitted like a glove but no internal visor (which I really like) and I can't find a dark visor for it or I'd have bought one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Everyone seems to assume that cheap helmets and expensive ones are essentially the same..
Invariably cheap ones are polycarbonate and expensive ones some sort of sophisticated matting, fibreglass, carbon fibre etc. That’s the first thing I check when looking. I would never wear a polycarbonate one, less robust to everyday hazards.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Carpscar

Post by Carpscar »

I have just purchased the X-lite 551 down from £419 to £229 in Calama grey and red from Helmet City and they are doing the Matt Black for £169 if anyone is interested.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

GB wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:34 pm Hello mate, Ive been an Arai user for as long as I can remember, my Tour X was coming up to seven years old and I was thinking just get another tourX then I picked up a Klim Krios at Sportsbike shop and the weight of it or lack of it amazed me, I never thought I would find anything as comfy as the Arai but the Klim is as good if not better, plus its quieter and cheaper than an arai,but if you have a Shoei head it may not fit but I would try one at least mate.

Hi GB. Good to hear from you again. Another mate also bought the Klim helmet and was showing it to me a couple of weeks ago: I couldn't believe how light they are! Anyway... I ended up ordering the Shoei Hornet ADV... just because I know that it'll fit and, if I bought something else, I'd probably just pine for the Shoei. Luckily my local bike shop, Orwell Motorcycles in Ipswich, do 0% over 6, 9 and 12 months on purchases over £300, so that has spread the cost. I'll be picking it up this weekend.

:D
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
GB

Post by GB »

Good choice mate, I need to go up a size in a Shoei, but again a great lid. Yes the Klim is so light its unreal, its not perfect but it does have a lot of features I like, the light weight being the biggest, then little things like the extra long strap to save undoing it every time. The things I don't like are the front vent and the peak doesn't block the sun out like the Arai does. But compared o the arai it is a lot quieter.
Finally back on a GS :D

Return to “CLOTHING”