Klim Krios v tour x

Does my ass look big in these?
GB

Klim Krios v tour x

Post by GB »

Well after wearing Aria helmets for over 15 years I made a knee jerk decision and bought a Klim krios. I honestly thought I would always wear a tour x, I had my accident wearing one and it done it’s job and thought that was that, arai all the way. Getting to the point I was in Sportsbike shop at Boston with a mate who was trying some boots on and I saw one on the shelf, now I had tried a F4 on before and that was really comfy but not something I would ever buy riding mostly on the road. Well I picked it up and thought “Jesus is this a display model, they can’t be this light!” So I asked for a medium to try on and yes they are that light! It was a tad harder to get on than my arai but only on the first bit after that is was just as comfy. Did a date check on the arai I am currently wearing and it is nearly 7 years old. I tried a new arai on for comparison and they feel very similar in fit but the Klim is just so light. With the Kim you get two visors a clear and a black and a pinlock all for over a £100 cheaper than an arai. So I got the card out and done the deal, wore it on the ride home and it is so much quieter with a lot less buffeting, it has a long double d ring strap so you don’t have to thread it every time but if I was to criticise it the peak is not so good for keeping the sun out of your eyes like the arai does but it doesn’t buzz like the arai does. Also it has a massive field of view, you really don’t feel like you are wearing a crash helmet. The visor swaps in seconds with no tools as well. The test will be when I fit the sena and see how clear that it is. Recommended.
Finally back on a GS :D
Craig-SM

Re: Klim Krios v tour x

Post by Craig-SM »

I'm using the Arai Tour X 4 which replaced my previous KTM Snipe helmet (also an Arai Tour X 4). Neither have had the visor buzz but the newer model doesn't seem as well built as the previous version. Chin strap is thinner, vents feel less substantial too. One of the top vents broke within 2 months of owning it and I'm 3 months into trying to get a replacement which is turning into a farce as they have sent every colour possible but the ones for the my Vision Grey helmet. I'm not feeling the love for Arai at the moment.
Having said all that the Klim Krios feels cheap in comparison when I looked at it. If I'm having problems getting spares for an Arai then I would have no chance with Klim and I'm a bit of fanboy for their gear.
GB

Post by GB »

I think you are confusing lightweight with cheap. The visor mech is a lot better and it doesn’t mist up like the tour does, the lining feels even plusher than the arai. Being a Matt finish and not a shiny gloss one( arai paint is second to none imho) it doesn’t have the same feel. There are no rear vents that you can open and close, they are permanently open (I never closed the exhaust vents on my arai ever, so that’s not an issue for me) the front lower vent only does the visor and is permanently open, it was 5degrees on the way home and never felt the need to have it closed. The top vent works really well, can feel the air going through the helmet. As for the peak buzzing on the arai that is down to my screen, if I don’t have the deflector fitted on the top is does buzz a bit at speed, the Klim doesn’t but it doesn’t really keep the sun out that well either.
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I'd only tried the Krios in the shop so couldn't comment on how it works whilst riding. The interior was plush reminded me of the Schuberth and newer Shark helmets with the bamboo lining.
I've never had any issues with the Tour X4 misting up or it's ventilation but saying that I do tend to have the visor slightly open all the time and have the pinlock installed for the coldest days which is when the top vents get closed.
It still doesn't seem as good a quality as the original Tour X4. You'll have to let us know how you're getting on with it in a year or two because if Arai don't up their game then I'll be going elsewhere.
GB

Post by GB »

I have a pinlock in the arai and it still mists up, I took it to the pinlock stand at the NEC last year and they said it was the hardest helmet to seal. The weight and noise reduction is worth it on its own without it being £125 cheaper, 5 year warranty as well, I’m surprised you’re having support issues with arai, I found that side of them really good.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Until 4 years ago I always wore Arai, had a condor and cheek pad spilt, to be fair they replaced it and shop lent me another model of Arai but it gave me a headache after 45 mins, so much for Arai shaped head :shock: and the max vis visor pinlock never fitted properly, got a Shoei GT air now, fits perfectly and love internal sun visor, and Arai are talking bollocks about them compromising strength of lid, not if the lid is designed for it ;) best lid I've every worn, feel that Arai are losing it now.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

I tried a Klim at M&P and couldn't get over how light it was, I've always worn AGV as I couldn't get Shoei or Arai to fit but the Klim was far more comfortable than my AGV, if it had a flip down visor I'd have bought it there and then.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DavidS

Post by DavidS »

This was discussed on here a while ago while I was looking for a new lid.
The Klim felt fantastically light but does look a bit hardcore style for my elderly plodding.
What I resented though was the huge mark up from the original discontinued (snowmobile?) helmet they have rebadged.
I went for the Tour X4, despite the cost, as I know Arais suit me and I had wasted too much on uncomfortable helmets over the last couple of years.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “CLOTHING”