Winter jacket and trousers

Does my ass look big in these?
Jak*

Winter jacket and trousers

Post by Jak* »

Hi can anyone recommend a decent quality winter jacket and trousers? Ideally I would like waterproof and breathable with the waterproof layer on the outside, I can't see the point of being dry inside and having a cold wet outer layer. I would also ideally like the trousers to be bib and braces type and the jacket to,have a high collar/neck guard.
None of this seems too much too ask, just sensible stuff if you are going to ride in the cold, however it does seem hard to find. At the moment I end up with ex army or police waterproof gear over the stuff I wear when it is not raining.
Has anyone had any recent experience of Triumph's own brand stuff? There seem to be some bargains on their outlet site.
Cheers Jak
P4ulie

Re: Winter jacket and trousers

Post by P4ulie »

Unless you're willing to part with a fortune (Rukka is about the only thing that springs to mind for high collar & bib / braces) I'd stick to the waterproofs & down jacket as a thermal layer. I wore a Rukka jacket continuously for about 5 years & ended up being sick of the sight of it. It got a new home, rather than wearing out.

I once bought a pair of clearance Triumph motorcycle jeans while drunk internet shopping one night. They were the best pair of jeans I've ever owned, about 5 years ago so not recent. I'd still be wearing them if I hadn't put a bit of muscle on around the middle :oops:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

It may not be elegant but on filthy trail riding days I wear armour and whatever layers are necessary and then RAF Foul Weather jacket and trousers. £45 for the pair, unused, from a surplus shop.

May not be so good looking down the pub though.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Hi Jak,

I had the same needs as you about 18 months ago and ended up (after a lot of advice from here) buying a Klim jacket (new) and pair of trousers (second hand off GB). All I can say is that they have been the best purchase of motorcycle clothing that I have ever made and not as expensive as you would think.

Luckily, I have the Adventure Bike Shop close by so I was able to browse their selection and try the clothing on. I ended up buying a Traverse jacket for £380 and it was thoroughly tested during my trip to Nordkapp. I bought the trousers on my return (can't remember the model) but I really wish I had them for the journey! The trousers aren't the bib type and, although they are heavy, the are adjustable and fit very well.

I had previously bought "waterproof" clothing with liners and they really are not worth the money compared with the likes of anything that is Gore-Tex. No need to carry extra liners or the irritation of not taking the liner and then needing it.

Ultimately, the initial cost of Gore-Tex clothing may be more, but if you buy from a good company like Klim or Rukka, the clothing will last a long time and you'll save money in the long run.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
GazinaBF

Post by GazinaBF »

What about "NO FEAR" brand?
I bought a jacket and pants. Very high quality brand and materials.
What do you think about this?
And I want to buy another set of clothes, I want to try another brand. Is there an idea or personal opinion? 8-)
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

the only genuine waterproof trousers I have had is, hein gericke pro sports goretex trousers.think they've stop making them now,but they come up on ebay now and then. ps. Ive never washed them and probably never will,i think it takes the waterproofing out of them. j
GazinaBF

Post by GazinaBF »

wideparting wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:45 pm the only genuine waterproof trousers I have had is, hein gericke pro sports goretex trousers.think they've stop making them now,but they come up on ebay now and then. ps. Ive never washed them and probably never will,i think it takes the waterproofing out of them. j
Ok,thanks man! :)
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Funny that this question should pop up as I've had this on my mind today while riding to Fishguard for the ferry to Rosslare. If price isn't an issue, I would highly recommend the Rukka Navigator suit. I've been wearing it in the colder months for the past year on regular trips to Scotland, and Ireland today, and I've got enough confidence in it to have it as my jacket of choice for this year's Elephant Rally. It's got CE-level 2 armour on the shoulders, elbows and back, full Gore-Tex laminate, a decent insulating liner, and it just feels bombproof. I've not felt any cold spots while riding in it, and today I was riding with the jacket and just a thermal underneath and I was toasty.

If you want to drop down a bit in price (the Rukka is £1,200 just for the jacket), then I've also found the Halvarssons Prime jacket to be excellent - the Outlast liner in it is one of the best in any jacket, though the fixed waterproof liner isn't laminated to the outer material. This comes in a bit cheaper at, if I remember correctly, about £300-£400.
Uncle Denz

Post by Uncle Denz »

Just to pick up on the Halvarssons kit mentioned. I have had a laminated Mercury (I think that's the model name) trousers (discontinued but managed to find one) for a few months and very happy with them.

I have also just bought a Halvarssons Amazonas jacket. Again, discontinued but a few still available from retailers on ebay and some other places. It seems to be the last of Halvarssons's laminated kit, having taken a different direction with the Prime etc, and it has a full outlast removeable liner. If it performs as well as the trousers I will be very happy.

The best thing - I got it for £259 delivered! For a laminated jacket, I think that's fantastic value compared to the alternatives.
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

BMW Tourshell

The best suit they make yet hardly ever mentioned - and always able to get one for less than RRP

Had mine 2 years now and it's been utterly waterproof in the worst of UK weather.
Water just runs off it.

Review here
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-r ... ourshell-/
When nothing is going right - go left

Return to “CLOTHING”