How essential is a Pinlock?

Does my ass look big in these?
Yoyo

Re: How essential is a Pinlock?

Post by Yoyo »

I'd never used one until last weekend, horrible weather but not a single issue with misting up but as already said, given the choice I'd go for comfort and best fit over anything else.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chrisj

Post by chrisj »

Thanks everyone. It's good to hear a variety of opinions. (Even if it doesn't help clarify my decision :lol: ) I think I'll try on some more and see if I can find something else that fits as well and is Pinlock compatible, but if not then it sounds like going for the best fit without isn't a totally stupid idea.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Having a good fit is useless if you can't see where you're going or having a freezing cold blast in your face because you've had to crack the visor open.

I tried a few helmets and ended up biting the bullet for another Arai (Tour X4) after the foam in my Shoei Hornet compressed in about 13 months as I know the comfort and pinlock on my road Arai is so good.
I don't necessarily agree with the cheap head/cheap helmet mantra but, mostly, you do get what you pay for.
Weight of the helmet is also as important as heavy lid will get you tired very quickly.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

I’ve used Fog City or Invision stick on visor inserts in the past. Don’t need the pinlock pins.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

What kind of riding are you likely to do?

A big summer trip, a couple of weekends away & out on a Sunday to help keep the local pig population in check.....you won't miss it.

Regular commuting, especially in winter? If you like to see where you're going, a pinlock is essential.

Reminds me I need a new one.

If you're doing any laning...avoid. Dust easily creeps up the back & wrecks them :(
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I have one with and one without. I find most of the time I ride with the visor slightly cracked open because I find it too stuffy with it's shut so the pinlock is unnecessary. Once I get up to cruising speed when the wind blast is too much it doesn't mist up anyway even when shut.

The problem with the pinlock is that in extreme conditions I have had it mist up and then nothing clears it except a stripdown as has been mentioned. Also I've found them prone to scratches and scuffs (they're softer than a visor) which reduces the clarity especially in direct sunlight and at night.

The advantage with the pinlock (apart from not misting when fitted correctly) is that you can swap the inserts for yellow or tinted as the weather changes (which is what I use mine for). But with a drop down tinted visor on your helmet (which is what my other has) then that's no advantage either.

Overall I thinks its an ok feature but there are other things about a helmet (comfort, noise reduction, vents, safety, etc) which I would now put as more important having ridden with both types back-to-back for a few years ;)
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I had one of those duchini lids, I really liked it. It took a while to wear it in and I wore it out in 2 years but I only had a bike and put a lot of miles in with it.

The front vent is pretty good, and because of that extra space behind the chin guard you'll be wanting to wear a buff/neck tube anyway when its cold so tbh you won't notice cracking the visor slightly, it doesn't need much.

UNLESS! you wear glasses then get pinlock as your glasses will still steam up and they're a pain in the arse to clear.
micksea

Post by micksea »

a pinlock isn"t essential but they are a very effective piece of kit and a great safety item
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I have always had my visor slightly open for air flow with the result it never fogs up. I rarely ride with it fully closed, screen takes most of the airflow away from the helmet so even motorway runs I have it slightly open. In extreme cold I do still use the bike even for long runs and visor open slightly keeps it free of condensation.

I put a lot into maintaining visor, never wipe it over, store helmet safely, only ever clean visor in running water and liquid, so they stay good for riding in bright sunlight and a drop down tinted visor does the rest.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Good if they can be fitted correctly. The 1st one I tried on my Tour X 4 was a right pain to get right. I was glad it parted company from the visor somewhere on the A666. The replacement is a much better fit.
However, no amount of Pinlock will stop your glasses misting up :ugeek:
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Return to “CLOTHING”