uk crash helmet in u.s.a

Does my ass look big in these?
phil1621

uk crash helmet in u.s.a

Post by phil1621 »

I am going to Canada and America next year I have a shuberth helmet which is also on sale in north America but in the manual it states in thick black ink that it is illegal to use in north America ,can anyone shine any light on this . how would it affect medical insurance in event of a accident for example
Andi_Archer

Re: uk crash helmet in u.s.a

Post by Andi_Archer »

See if this article helps it seems from a quick reading the US version is slightly differnt to comply with US DOT regulations
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... th-c3-usa/

https://www.quora.com/Will-a-motorcycle ... -in-the-US
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Just my opinion since I will probably never be able to afford to ride a bike in north America but if I was in any doubt about the legality of my own helmet and medical cover I would just buy a cheap certified helmet when I get there.I'm sure someone will be pleased to pick up your $100 sweat stained,stinking helmet for $20 in a charity shop. :)
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

As sprinster says - just buy one over there.
Never give an insurance company an excuse.

I lugged boots and helmet to and from India and they take up a lot of space when flying and we were only allowed one soft bag each.
I wouldn't have bought a helmet in India though, even if I was able to.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
phil1621

Post by phil1621 »

phil1621 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:31 pm I am going to Canada and America next year I have a shuberth helmet which is also on sale in north America but in the manual it states in thick black ink that it is illegal to use in north America ,can anyone shine any light on this . how would it affect medical insurance in event of a accident for example
ok thanks for help seems like buying over there might be best option
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

I'd ask your insurance company
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

US protectionist crap--they don't like ANY imports that haven't gone through "their " system--even if the bike is exactly the same spec etc. On helmets its not even necessary to wear one in some states. The DOT stamping is all thats required--and the standard is low. I would recommend buying one out there--or contacting a mate who might have a mate, who knows somebody that has one for sale for a few bucks. In any event just get get a copy of a DOT sticker made up and put that on--the chances of you being stopped are pretty low. However, if its a brit registered bike it may attract the local sheriff as they are "county" funded and like any revenue. If its a US registered bike and you are not speeding its unlikely that you will get stopped.

Return to “CLOTHING”