Glasses style goggles

Does my ass look big in these?
DavidS

Glasses style goggles

Post by DavidS »

Now I have bankrupted myself buying my Arai Tour X4, my current Bolle padded safety glasses don't fit very well as there is a very generous arm gap in the helmet padding and they slide down my nose.
As it was, before I bought the helmet I was thinking of going to wrap around sunglasses style goggles as I really don't like the bulk of 'proper' goggles and end up with a tunnel vision effect.
Only to be used for road and trail - I have to keep my eyes protected with visor up since eye ops a few years ago.
Anyone use a glasses style and any recommendations?
I have mass posted this on KTM and TRF forums as well.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
pinball1008

Re: Glasses style goggles

Post by pinball1008 »

I've used these in the past and they allow me to read my sat nav as well.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TF-Gear-NEW-B ... oszyKUBJGw
Plenty of other types available and the arms on these are a little vulnerable.
Not all those wandering are lost
snaf

Post by snaf »

Hi David
I nearly always use standard safety glasses, either clear of tinted without issue. They're cheap enough to try out from HERE
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Thanks guys.
The problem with glasses is, where my old Shoei was bloody uncomfortable, the padding was tight enough to grip the arms of the glasses but the Arai has a generous gap, which is fine in itself but also means the glasses gradually slip forwards.
Hnece my thought to go for glasses style goggles as opposed to the big and lumpy mx type.
Despite being in the allegedly fully serviced south east, finding shops that hold much in the way of stock is a bit trickier.
Strangely enough snaf, I was looking positively at the clear version of the Site one's on Screwfix website this morning before I started leaning to the goggle idea. I might have a look at them anyway as an interim option as they seem to have ear curves rather than just straight arms.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
snaf

Post by snaf »

Now I'm confused, I thought you meant the SITE type when you said glasses. Is there something between this and googles?
One of the reasons I rarely use MX type goggles is because of the restricted view when looking back, especially if I'm leading a group trail riding.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

snaf wrote:Now I'm confused, I thought you meant the SITE type when you said glasses. Is there something between this and googles?

One of the reasons I rarely use MX type goggles is because of the restricted view when looking back, especially if I'm leading a group trail riding.
You're confused??? What about me?

I have exactly the same problem with normal goggles, far too restrictive, although now I have mirrors on the 690, trying to crick my neck to look over my shoulder isn't so necessary (not that it was physically possible before).

I was thinking of this type of thing but in clear lens:
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/held-9817-mo ... lens-black
Not so bulky as mx goggles.

Although the Site one's could be a better interim option until I can get out and see what people actually have in stock in shops, not just internet listed.

EDIT: Held goggles seem to have to fit under the helmet so that's no damn good unless it's an open face and even then a bit iffy.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Have you looked into having an elasticed retainer/ head band of some sort on the back of your present glasses?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Andi_Archer wrote:Have you looked into having an elasticed retainer/ head band of some sort on the back of your present glasses?
My Bolles do come with a strap, which I found this morning, but you have to put the glasses on first, obviously, and then the helmet won't go over the top. Unless I was doing it wrong.
The strap fixing point was too far back on the arm to be able to go round the outside rtaher than by the lens.

Having been round most of the bike shops in the area loking for my Arai, it looks like I'm going to to have to do the same (plus Screwfix etc) to find some glasses or goggles.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
WelshGar

Post by WelshGar »

I've been using these for years. Adjustable arms and protective padding. No movement even on the roughest trails. I just use the clear lense.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... prod/78860
Gar
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Bolle safety glasses for me (thumbs) ...there brill loads of different shades but know what you mean about sliding down nose. Try some micro pore tape round the ends of the arms which then grip better in the helmet padding B)

Return to “CLOTHING”