trail riding boots

Does my ass look big in these?
BlueUK

Re: trail riding boots

Post by BlueUK »

DavidS wrote:I would counter that reasonable thought though.
If you wear something that is uncomfortable, your concentration goes awol so a balance of for and against is valid imho. A bit like a rock hard seat....you spend more time wriggling than watching what you're doing.

For trail riding, speeds tend to be low compared to enduro or mx - there is probably more risk on the road and road boots give much less protection.
It appears you're mistaking uncomfortable walking about with uncomfortable riding the bike. If they're uncomfortable on the bike then they're either the wrong size or the wrong fit in which case try a brand that fits your foot shape. No boots should be uncomfortable while riding unless you have abnormalities. I also carry walking shoes when away on a bike trip.
I'd also say that impact protection required off tarmac is far greater but abrasion resistance is more important on tarmac due to higher speeds.
Personally if I'm doing lanes on the 450 or 950 I'll wear Alpinestars Tech 8's which I'd not go for a stroll in the park in but if I'm road riding I tend to wear Gaerne balance boots, I'd also do light trails in them but I'd be wary of both low branches smacking my shins but also taking a dab with my feet. I'd also walk about in the Gaernes.
Bear in mind that I've been dirt riding quite a while so I'm competent but also very aware how quickly it can go wrong.
I really don't think one pair of boots will do everything for risk I'm willing to take especially when riding in remote places, bit like trying to own a do it all bike.
RichP

Post by RichP »

johnnyboxer wrote:I wouldn't compromise on safety offroad with boots
I wear Sidi mx boots which are tough - I have had a lot of lower leg injuries (like haematomas) even with top boots which would have been far worse with lesser boots
I wear Sidi Trials for trial comps but the protection is nowhere near as good as their MX cousins for trails
I always wear good knee and shin protection and those ankle protectors that footballers wear

You can't be too careful

I know someone who had a shin haematoma from a footpeg impact and the subsequent swelling & muscle damage trapped a vein and he was rushed into hospital the day after and had an emergency OP to slice the leg from knee to ankle at the front to relieve the pressure and strip away the damaged muscle to ensure the vein could flow again, another day later and they would have amputated his lower leg - all due to a sharp blow to the shin from a footpeg - by a simple dab off road

Wear MX boots even though they may be uncomfy
I totally agree. After breaking my right ankle whilst wearing TCX Infinity boots when I trapped my ankle between a rock and the footpeg, I only wear Sidi Crossfires when I'm riding on tracks. I had to ride for 2 hours down from pretty high up in the Pyrenees with effectively no back brake and unable to stand up. The Crossfires are really comfortable when I'm on the bike and I can walk about in them for 15 minutes or so without any problems. Any more than that I put on some trainers.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Maybe my manky shaped feet cloud my thought process but the OP wants all dayboots for a week and the only mx boots I had (that I could find to fit my feet) were not something to wear for long periods, even on the bike.
I don't recall a huge difference in protection between the two either.
Plenty of people are obviously happy with the W2s or they wouldn't still be for sale.
It's all a question of degree and assessment.
If we wanted ultimate protection we would have airbag trousers, massive gloves, neck brace even to pop to the shops, etc etc and I am sure that doesn't happen much.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
RichP

Post by RichP »

DavidS wrote:Maybe my manky shaped feet cloud my thought process but the OP wants all dayboots for a week and the only mx boots I had (that I could find to fit my feet) were not something to wear for long periods, even on the bike.
I don't recall a huge difference in protection between the two either.
Plenty of people are obviously happy with the W2s or they wouldn't still be for sale.

It's all a question of degree and assessment.
If we wanted ultimate protection we would have airbag trousers, massive gloves, neck brace even to pop to the shops, etc etc and I am sure that doesn't happen much.
Each to their own really. I've just done 2 weeks in Portugal roughly 50% on tracks without any discomfort whatsoever. Admittedly the Crossfires aren't waterproof but they do keep dry in rain for a while and dry out quicker than waterproof boots if water comes over the top in rivers etc. To be fair I haven't looked at any boots recently but the difference in protection between the TCX Infinities and the Crossfires is night and day.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

DavidS wrote:I would counter that reasonable thought though.
If you wear something that is uncomfortable, your concentration goes awol so a balance of for and against is valid imho. A bit like a rock hard seat....you spend more time wriggling than watching what you're doing.

For trail riding, speeds tend to be low compared to enduro or mx - there is probably more risk on the road and road boots give much less protection.
Sidi Crossfire Enduro boots are comfy after 10 mins to ride in and I disagree with you, having had and seen a lot of offroad accidents - wear proper enduro boots
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

RichP wrote: Each to their own really. I've just done 2 weeks in Portugal roughly 50% on tracks without any discomfort whatsoever.

Admittedly the Crossfires aren't waterproof but they do keep dry in rain for a while and dry out quicker than waterproof boots if water comes over the top in rivers etc.

To be fair I haven't looked at any boots recently but the difference in protection between the TCX Infinities and the Crossfires is night and day.
Exactly - wear inferior 'adventure branded' boots at your peril
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
rocky

Post by rocky »

Mike54 wrote:Forma Terra.
I bought a pair of these for Iceland and they are very comfy to walk and ride in

Return to “CLOTHING”