What new clothing!

Does my ass look big in these?
Cone

What new clothing!

Post by Cone »

I'm getting a little bonus, not a big one but the ICE were kind enough to make me an incorporated engineer recently which is allowing me to replace my ageing clothing courtesy of my employer..

As I ride a BMW it seems sensible to look at the 'twat suits' or Rallye versions.

They're probaly at the very top of my budget as I want a new adventure helmet too, and they can have blue strips which would match my bike too..

Is there anything else that I should consider? What should I look for when reserching?

Cheers
Allan F

Re: What new clothing!

Post by Allan F »

Pro- Shell Gortex expensive. But excellent. Have a look at Dane bike gear. All depends what type of riding you do. Things to look for.
1) Good venting.
2) plenty of adjustment especially on the arms / cuffs / legs. Let's you tailor the fit to suit the individual.
3) Halvarsons are also worth a look.
4) Check out Ride mag gear selection.

Just a few points to get you started. Research websites.

Good luck

Regards Allan.
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

I spent big bucks on a BMW rallye twat suit last year - and promptly sold it after my first long ride in heavy rain.

Is it comfy - yes
Is it well made - yes
Is it waterproof - yes
Is is vented - oh yes
Does it look the bollox - yes :blush:

But - the outer gets wet through and weighs a bloody ton and you get really cold.

It is an ace suit but definetly for the warmer climes of this globe in my opinion. The U.K. Not being one of them.

My old hein gericke goretex outer Tuareg suit was better in every way except for on a very hot day.

Just my tuppence worth
When nothing is going right - go left
jkay

Post by jkay »

I wear BMW street Gard kit every day and it's the dogs
Waterproof,warm in winter and cool enough with the jacket vents open in summer
The touring boots are great as well
4 years and about 30k miles
Ricalnic

Post by Ricalnic »

I've recently ventured up to Klim, and am really impressed.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Cone wrote:As I ride a BMW it seems sensible to look at the 'twat suits' or Rallye versions.
Buy a cheap second-hand one and see how compromised it is in usual UK weather, then buy something with the gore-tex pro shell which has vents eg Klim / Rukka and others.
coddy

Post by coddy »

I have a rallye twat suit.
protection is fantastic as is the rest of the suit.
But its only water proof with the liner in the outer as someone else stated gets soaked through.
its an heavy suit when dry even heavier when wet !!!!!

then the the twat thing going on :laugh:

when i got on the santander ferry last year in the lift a few other bikers said, I bet your up front with captain.
said it all really :S

regards
Cone

Post by Cone »

So what your all saying is they are really good suits until they're wet... The waterproof lining is internal so the jacket saturates.

Does that leave a puddle in you home too when they are drying out?

I suppose if you have a BMW and eventually change your bike you may feel like a bit of a prune riding say a KTM with BMW gear?
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

I bought an RST Adventure Pro suit that has the same design, having the waterproof membrane inside the outer shell and an additional thermal layer for winter riding. In my experience of 2 years of use, the multi layer design is a pain, the outer weighs a ton when wet, and the bulky thermal layer is also a pain to carry if not fitted to the jacket. I rode back to France on Saturday, having fitted the waterproof membrane (after seeing the weather forecast ) as I got further down the M5 the weather got warmer and warmer. With the membrane fitted the perfectly place vents are obscured and become pretty useless in doing the job they are supposed to do.

So, given your healthy budget I would look at a Goretex single shell design that allow you to wear additional layers for colder weather but also has vents for the warmer days riding.

Sarge
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Replaced my BMW kit last year with Halvarssons Prime Jacket. I have been very pleased with it, it's worth a look, cheaper than Rukka too.

Return to “CLOTHING”