Sidi Crossfire Motocross Boots.

Does my ass look big in these?
muzzlitebeer

Re: Sidi Crossfire Motocross Boots.

Post by muzzlitebeer »

Hi all. First post, so sorry, I'm a bit late to this conversation.

I just bought a pair of new original crossfires (non SRS) on eBay for only $395AUD delivered. Yes, they're relatively old technology, but I reckon they'll still be better than 90% of the competition out there. (Less than half the price of a pair of SG12s)

Anyway, I'm reading a few comments on the internet about this plastic hinge circlip problem, but not really sure what it is.

Could somebody please elaborate?

The boots aren't due for delivery until next week.
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

Not heard about the problem and I have crossfire 2's which have been used for a few weeks.

Here you go http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... oots.htmln
muzzlitebeer

Post by muzzlitebeer »

The problem is with the original crossfires. The 'problem' (whatever it is) was fixed with the Crossfire 2.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

I have been using Sidi boots (cross fires for offroad and couriers for on) and they are the best. While in Turkey guiding I would get through 3 sets of boots a year, then came crossfires, and because the boot is so well made I could re sole them twice sometimes. The old couriers are just about dead now after 12 years of abuse. They are a narrow boot and even though I wear 42.5 shoes I always buy (secondhand) 44's They also get tighter as they get old. But apart from Gaerne sg10 they are my favourite boot. Just bought a pair of the adventure sidi's for a big tip. I hope they are as good?
muzzlitebeer

Post by muzzlitebeer »

WIBO wrote:The significant changes I found from the older model was the ankle hinge pin system is better(the older ones were prone to loose the plastic retaining circlip..always had one or two in my tool box)[/IMG]
Hi Wibo, Those boots in the photos look identical to the original Crossfire boots I've got winging my way here as I write. ($395AUD delivered - from Melbourne) They're not Crossfire 2 boots, (2 mounting screws on the strap clips. Crossfire 2 only has a single screw) So what is the "older model" you are referring to?

You mention that the ankle hinge pin system is better than the 'older model'. Could you please elaborate on this "hinge pin circlip problem"? What causes it to come off and what's involved in 'fixing' it?
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

muzzlitebeer wrote:The problem is with the original crossfires. The 'problem' (whatever it is) was fixed with the Crossfire 2.
I had a pair of original Crossfires - occasionally the circlip which is part of the ankle hinge would disappear. Not a massive problem when it does and it happened about twice in 5 years. (Spare circlips came with my boots)

Just replaced them with Crossfire 2 SRS.

The first Crossfires were very good boots, the 2's are even better. (thumbs)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

so thats what a sidi mx boot looks like, :laugh:

a life long user of sidi boots boots luv em

steve
muzzlitebeer

Post by muzzlitebeer »

Thanks Crossrutted.

Do the circlips come off while wearing them? That would make them a little unsafe, wouldn't it? I'm pretty switched on with problem solving and ability to adapt 'things', so hopefully I'll be able to identify the problem area and weave my magic...

I reckon these Crossfire 1 boots will still be waaay better than the Alpinestar, O'neill, Fox etc, offerings.

I was going buy SG12's, but couldn't find any to try on. These Sidis cost me less than half of the SG12s.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

The soles have since worn enough to need replacing with enduro soles. The price has jumped to €25 for a pair of soles since I last purchased.

The locking pins were removed and cleaned up. The slot heads needed a run through with a hack saw blade after, to clean the slots out from dirt.

The slots in the enduro sole need to be cut a bit with a stanley knife to free up the holes to allow the pins to slide through.

The boot slots were cleaned from dust with an air line and some grease applied both to the holes and to the pins to help the pins turn and slide.

Without this there is resistance from the dry rubber.

Lined up and ready to mount.

Took about an hour with some huffing and puffing. The pin slot is narrow so you need a good narrow bladed scewdriver, preferably a stumpy one to get good pressure to turn the pins.

At the same time the leather parts were given a liberal coating with nik wax and any screws nipped up.

I'll order new pins and replace one by one.

:D
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

muzzlitebeer wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:51 am
WIBO wrote:The significant changes I found from the older model was the ankle hinge pin system is better(the older ones were prone to loose the plastic retaining circlip..always had one or two in my tool box)[/IMG]
Hi Wibo, Those boots in the photos look identical to the original Crossfire boots I've got winging my way here as I write. ($395AUD delivered - from Melbourne) They're not Crossfire 2 boots, (2 mounting screws on the strap clips. Crossfire 2 only has a single screw) So what is the "older model" you are referring to?

You mention that the ankle hinge pin system is better than the 'older model'. Could you please elaborate on this "hinge pin circlip problem"? What causes it to come off and what's involved in 'fixing' it?

The older model design has threaded screws attaching the soles which, due to corrosion made them difficult to unscrew, sometimes turning in the boot.

The ankle hinge plastic circlip would ping off with age. I always had a couple of circlips in my tool box and wallet.

:D
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “CLOTHING”