Open face helmets

Does my ass look big in these?
The Sarge

Re: Open face helmets

Post by The Sarge »

macvisual wrote:I greatly appreciate the amount of replies/response here guys, great stuff, keen them coming if need be.

I know this sounds strange but isn't there something about yellow tinted glasses that makes you actually see better ?

Thanks;
Peter
Absolutely right Peter, in lower light contrast and definition is much sharper with tinted lenses, ask any photographer about the use of tinted filters, yellow reduces haze which is particularly useful riding in areas where strong light is being refracted.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

The Sarge wrote:
Trev wrote:
The Sarge wrote:Q. If open face helmets are so dangerous why (living in the nanny state tbat we do ) are they still legal and very popular ?

I wear one for comfort and nothing to do with looking 'cool' but being cool in temperature definitely, I have had many accidents on and off road over 40 years of riding, lost teeth, broken jaw and every sort of cuts from stones being thrown up, to brambles being dragged across the face, thats off road riding. One of the closest calls though was catching the over sized peak of my motocross style helmet in a low hanging branch, nearly broke my neck, that was only 2 years ago and I have not worn that helmet since.

So , IMO its a matter of choice, personal preference. and I prefer my open face with good glasses or goggles.

FB_20160729_09_52_10_Saved_Picture.jpg
FB_20160729_09_52_10_Saved_Picture.jpg (85.21 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
What glasses you have on in the pic, do you know whether they are available with clear lenses?

Trev,
These are UVEX safety glasses, absolutely brilliant for what I want, fully adjustable and much tougher lenses than your usual goggles. You can get them from Screwfix or Arco, pretty sure they come in clear also ?

Sarge
+1 for UVEX safety glasses (although I want to keep my good looks! ;) ) I get mine off EBay for £3.99,available in clear,smoke or amber. (thumbs)
[attachment=-1]FB_20160729_09_52_10_Saved_Picture.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
FB_20160729_09_52_10_Saved_Picture.jpg
FB_20160729_09_52_10_Saved_Picture.jpg (85.21 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Whilst I do wear a flip type helmet I inevitably leave the visor open unless its raining and wearing glasses protects my vision from the wind and bugs.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

What a bunch of pussies. If decent protection is worth having, it's worth spending a few quid to get proper kit.
All that was available when I was a lad was this sort of rubbish. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=medie ... IIg#imgrc=_
Spent bloody hours cleaning with wire wool and Autosol after a ride out in the rain. The Japanese had a slightly better option using lacquered paper, but even this often went soggy after a couple of hours. Don't even thing about river crossings, I lost quite a few friends when they just sank and were never seen again. There was no great improvement until manufacturers started to use cork, leather and Bakelite.

crashhelmet.jpg
crashhelmet.jpg (14.49 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

daytona-supersport wrote:What a bunch of pussies. If decent protection is worth having, it's worth spending a few quid to get proper kit.
All that was available when I was a lad was this sort of rubbish. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=medie ... IIg#imgrc=_
Spent bloody hours cleaning with wire wool and Autosol after a ride out in the rain. The Japanese had a slightly better option using lacquered paper, but even this often went soggy after a couple of hours. Don't even thing about river crossings, I lost quite a few friends when they just sank and were never seen again. There was no great improvement until manufacturers started to use cork, leather and Bakelite.

Thank you for your input... we'll contact you shortly..
NEXT!
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

daytona-supersport wrote: There was no great improvement until manufacturers started to use cork, leather and Bakelite.
The Helmet Doctor will be with you shortly to fit your new matching suit with fetching leather arm straps :D
-Ralph-

Open face helmets

Post by -Ralph- »

Does anyone ride over 50mph with an open face?

I can't do it without a visor, the wind in my eyes leaves them streaming.

Over 70 mph, I can't breathe very well.

What about the bugs that usually end up all over your visor? A bluebottle hitting you in the face at 60 mph stings like fkk. It's not that unusual to get hit on the visor by a stone kicked up off the road either. As for loose chippings....

I've never ridden on road with one, but knowing what my visor fends off I can't imagine doing it.

Always wondered if open face helmets are the reason Harley riders are usually so slow.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Open face helmets

Post by -Ralph- »

-Ralph- wrote:Does anyone ride over 50mph with an open face?

What about the bugs that usually end up all over your visor? A bluebottle hitting you in the face at 60 mph stings like fkk. It's not that unusual to get hit on the visor by a stone kicked up off the road either. As for loose chippings....

I've never ridden on road with one, but knowing what my visor fends off I can't imagine doing it.

Always wondered if open face helmets are the reason Harley riders are usually so slow.

All genuine questions for someone who does use a piss pot lid, I'm interested to know how they manage on the road at speed, or do they just not wear one on the road at speed?

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

If you've got a bike with a good screen and wear glasses of some sort they're fine. Pull a buff up over your nose and mouth if it's cold and just get on with it. I normally wear a full face helmet and can ride at any speed with the visor up on my KTM and if I wear my open faced helmet it's not really any different. I've got a decent pair of goggles that fit over my glasses which avoids the risk of my glasses going for a flying lesson if I turn my head and the wind catches them the wrong way so there's nothing to worry about. On bikes with no screen then up to about 100mph is ok with just glasses but over that you need goggles to remove the draughts that creep in the sides.

If I'm wearing the open faced helmet it's because it's a warm day so there's no chance I'll be wearing more than jeans, trainers and a leather jacket so why would I worry about a bit of gravel rash on my chin? Even with years of racing and quite a few crashes on the road when my enthusiasm wrote cheques my ability couldn't cash I've only ever damaged the front of a crash helmet once so as far as I'm concerned the low risk is acceptable.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

-Ralph- wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:Does anyone ride over 50mph with an open face?

All genuine questions for someone who does use a piss pot lid, I'm interested to know how they manage on the road at speed, or do they just not wear one on the road at speed?

I don't know about an open faced lid but I was riding at about 70mph without a visor ok.It feels like you're riding faster though! It does hurt if a big beastie smacks you in the face but for some reason I found the warm climate doesn't have so many flying insects as soggy UK.It wasn't until I reached the Black Forest that I thought about putting my visor back on to protect my face from them but I decided not to as I would rather stay cool and take a few hits.No problems with streaming eyes with close fitting safety glasses.

Return to “CLOTHING”