Let's play footsie.

Does my ass look big in these?
Alun

Let's play footsie.

Post by Alun »

I have a pair of motorcycling boots cultivating mould in the garage. Why? This is why; I wear hiking boots to ride and more specifically Norwegian made Viking hiking boots. I bought these boots about 10 years ago when I arrived above the Arctic Circle in winter without my baggage – courtesy of SAS Airlines flying my luggage to who knows where.

Anyways, they are lined with thinsulate (great thermal qualities), they are waterproof, hard wearing and, this is the clincher, they are very comfortable to wear around town I.e. when I'm off the bike.

Generally speaking I find that hiking boots, which are designed for hiking in tough environments, are far better made than motorcycle boots, which are designed to wear sitting down.

This means that when I'm touring all I need is a pair of sandals/flip flops and my Norwegian boots (say Norwegian Boots with a Welsh accent and it sounds like a cue for a certain Monty Python sketch!). Also, everyone I've spoke to about this has subsequently bought a pair of hiking boots and have not looked back since.

The only occasion when I would even consider wearing motorcycling boots is when I'm in a full on enduro situation where there's rocks flying at shin level.

So, let's play footsie...what's your preference? And let's see a pic of them.
viking_boot.JPG
viking_boot.JPG (65.59 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
Treadtrader

Re:Let's play footsie.

Post by Treadtrader »

After 30 years of trials and trail riding i like the protection of good boots designed for tha purpose.
These are my Sidi trials boots, supple (treated with neatsfoot oil) waterproof and tough.
Picture_195.jpg
Picture_195.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
I also have some lightweight bike boots for summer use,soon to be replaced.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
trophydave

Post by trophydave »

I have a pair of Sidi Couriers the same as Treadtrader.Most of the time,however,I wear a pair of Altberg Field and Fell boots.They are just like a high leg version of a walking boot.Comfortable to walk in and waterproof but probably not much ankle protection if you were to crash.
africajim

Post by africajim »

I have a pair of RST race waterproof boots for dress and Wulfsport crosser boots for offroad excursions.
I'd advise against wearing any boots with laces as the laces can be wrapped around the brake or gear pedal with wind and stopping could be embarrasing to say the least! If not actually dangerous if filtering traffic.
Honda, the power of dreams.
Alun

Post by Alun »

africajim wrote:
I'd advise against wearing any boots with laces as the laces can be wrapped around the brake or gear pedal with wind and stopping could be embarrasing to say the least! If not actually dangerous if filtering traffic.
Good point Jim, and you are correct. I use climbing knots.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Well pointed out Alun.
Honda, the power of dreams.
MidnightSerenity

Post by MidnightSerenity »

Here are my boots!! Very comfy and warm too. Although after reading about all the other boots on this post, think I need to invest in a new pair....!!!
shab_boot__Medium_.JPG
shab_boot__Medium_.JPG (94.11 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
:)
Mark Manley

Post by Mark Manley »

I usually wear a pair of Altberg Hogg boots, they are warm, waterproof and after 6 years of almost daily use are still in good nick. They are almost exactly the same as my Altberg hiking boots, which I also ride in sometimes, just about 4 inches taller and with a pad for the gearchange.
They are fine for walking in although the ankle movement is a little restricted and I found walking down hill in them rubbed my toes somewhat, although that was 4 years ago and they might do better now.
On that day incidently I was possibly the only person to get to the top of Ben Nevis with 2 dry feet, after 36 hours of continuous rain you had to step into a 6 inch deep stream, my boots are 7 inches high.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
Alun

Post by Alun »

+1 for Altberg. I think they are the only boots still made in the UK.
Mark Manley

Post by Mark Manley »

I have just read Africajim's comment about laces, in over 30 years of riding, mostly with lace up boots I have never had a problem, but I did catch a leg of the flaired Levis I was wearing on the kickstart of my moped. This left me in a tangled, embarassed heap outside of Woolies on Lyme Regis high street. Flares, there is the real hazard to motorcyclist on so many fronts.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.

Return to “CLOTHING”