how cheap can you go?

Does my ass look big in these?
st2loon

how cheap can you go?

Post by st2loon »

Hi Newbie here, I'm at the bar so i'll get you all a pretend beer........

Anyways to the point, I Am an experienced motorcyclist with no multi day touring under my belt, (i have covered 500 miles in a day before but always from home to home). This year the wife and i are spending a week touring and camping the north coast of Scotland early July.
So heres the Problem, I Need to buy wifie waterproof textile suit, this suit is liklie to be worn for this week touring Scotland, then live in the garage for a year or two until i can talk her into it again.
I do realise that a £300 jacket and trousers are not going to be as good as a £1000 set but would they be ok ?? have looked at some frank thomas stuff and the alpinestars drystar range.Thanks in advance for any advice/sugestions
OnHellas

Re: how cheap can you go?

Post by OnHellas »

Simple answer. No, they will leak.

My advice would be to buy the suit you want that meets your budget. And then
buy a one piece over suit to go over it when it rains.
Most pack into their own pocket for storage.
bowber

Post by bowber »

As Hellas has said just get over trousers and jacket. I've never spent more than £100 on a jacket another have been fine in normal rain but if it gets really heavy or is an all day ride I use an over jacket, same with trousers, kevlar jeans and walking waterproof trousers, throw them away when they leak too much and get a new pair.
V2orV4

Post by V2orV4 »

Hiya ST2!
You'll get all sorts of conflicting advice, but here's what we do when we tour.

We wear textile jackets with armour that have vents for hot weather. The lining is mesh type which doesn't stick to skin. For layers a wicking type shirt and/or merino layer. If I need insulation then I use a Primaloft jacket (Keela belay), it crushes up fairly small and also useful when off bike or using when camping gets chilly. For trousers, armoured jeans, Hood make.

For waterproofs, Berhaus Deluge trousers, which have full length zips, so a doddle to put on (about £50). For the jacket we use un insulated cheapest ones from Millets/Blacks/Go Outdoors etc. They have always kept all but the very heaviest rain out and dry quickly. They may not breathe as well as pricey stuff, but only wear it when rainy or cold.
A lot depends on how carefully you zip up and stop rain creeping down your neck etc. so a Buff type scarf thing helps here.
Naturally, another consideration is how your bike protects you from the elements.

For us versatility is a key factor, but there are always compromises. A full on heavy expensive jacket may have brill build quality and features, but will it cover every situation and do you want to wear it when just walking about?
Steve.
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Most textiles are only waterproof with the liners in, and as your going in July that's not really practical, get what comfy and within your budget and as said just get a 2 piece light waterproof, there's plenty of them out there ( I have a set from Spada http://www.spadaclothing.co.uk/productd ... 20Oversuit ) and most retailers have sales on atm (thumbs)
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

The Midges on the other hand..... :unsure: :huh: :laugh: :woohoo:
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Like a lot of others I'm in the jackets will leak camp, I buy cheaper jackets then put waterproofs over the top.

The difference is I buy dirt cheap hivis work wear ones, jacket and trousers for 30 quid and they never leak, can get bloody warm though :lol:
V_King

Post by V_King »

buy cheap comfortable kit for your wife + either goretex or cheaper overtrousers and overjacket - she will be comfortable when nice and sunny AND when it is cold and raining.

I've spent £35 quid on my goretex overalls in army surplus store, and they are not even army green, but dutch police blue!
""
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

From bitter experience:-
1. If she gets wet through and cold you're going to have one of those "Never again..." conversations. (That isn't really a conversation)
2. She must be happy with the way the gear LOOKS! ("I don't care that I'm streaming wet, there is no way I'm going into that bar/café looking like a Michelin Man.

Good shopping.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

If you can get a gore-tex oversuit for £35 then fair enough but I'm not fussy whether my waterproof layer is breathable.IMO a breathable outer layer is just marketing hype.The breathability only works in certain conditions ie,climbing a mountain in sub zero temperatures where there is a big temperature difference between the inside and outside of the jacket,not sitting on the back of a bike in July.And even if it does get damp on the inside your wife will still have another fairly waterproof jacket underneath so she's not going to feel it.
So to answer your question,cheap textile jacket and trousers with removable lining and a cheap two piece suit.A one piece might be more waterproof but sometimes it handy to put the jacket on just for an extra layer if it's cold.

Return to “CLOTHING”