Windproof mid-layer required

Does my ass look big in these?
Thumper

Windproof mid-layer required

Post by Thumper »

Hey team,

I'm usually riding in an Icebreaker long sleeve and a fleece under my Klim Overland jacket.

Added a heated vest for the winter time.

Doing a fair few miles for work at the moment (600 miles/week), and I notice the wind chill, even with all my vents zipped shut.

So, any recommendations on a windproof layer?
I first tried cycling shops, but realised they vent and wick too much. There's really no chance of me getting too warm at the moment!

Cheers.
I'm off on a 3 month solo trip of Europe. Can i pitch a tent in your garden? Or can you help me find interesting things to see?

Here's my page:

http://www.facebook.com/onemooseonemotorbike
fullerton

Re: Windproof mid-layer required

Post by fullerton »

i still use my wind stopper fleece, from berghause, cost me a fortune 22 years ago and you lot still take the piss at rallys because of the color, but one of the best bits of clothing i ever bought and still as good as the day i bought it.
steve
nuttynick

Post by nuttynick »

Another vote for wind stopper fleece, I've had my Mountain Equipment one for years. It's a bit thin on the elbows but still blocks the wind out.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Iam a skinny cold bloke, and normally use a.cycling gore windstopper mid layer BUT have recently used a snugpak softie top...windstopper and insulation in one...bloody toasty with tea shirt and jacket ..summer jacket at that..use a army gortex as over layer if real cold wind..

Works for me.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Yep, extra vote for a waterproof outer layer, that'll trap more heat in than a windproof fleece and is cheap as chips :)
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
nuttynick

Post by nuttynick »

I've also got a softie jacket, a great bit of kit. I can fit it under my Spada Explorer jacket as well :-) But I'm finding that unless it's really cold I get too warm in mine with a base layer on.
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Bought a windproof/water resistant fleece from Go outdoors last year. Own brand, £25.
Superb.
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Best in town (maybe). A thin Pertex layer makes a huge difference between your jacket and under layers and is light, packs tiny, never without one.

http://www.chillcheater.com/tops/pertex ... ter-jacket
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

Any couple of layers will retain heat as the Klim jackets are freezing so people tell me. Or as others have said, £25 waterproofs over the £350 Klim will solve the problem :whistle:

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

You don't need the under layers to be windproof, the problem is you're just not wearing enough of the right layers. You need something warm underneath that's all, so like a merno base layer (woolpower is the best for me), then a mid layer either a thicker woolpower or a pertex insulated or a thin down layer. Your Klim is already windproof, it's just not insulated thats all (thumbs)

Return to “CLOTHING”